I don’t know too many people who don’t like a good chocolate chip cookie! Well, often times store-bought cookies are loaded with added sugar, salt, oils and all other kind of ingredients that are hard to pronounce, let alone knowing what and where they come from.
So, I came up with this quick and easy recipe to satisfy my kids and husband’s sweet tooth while still using simple, wholesome, and minimally processed plant-based ingredients. Mission accomplished – the kiddos and hubby all gave them 2 thumbs up!
These cookies are quick to make and are sweetened with Date paste. They are also salt-free, oil-free, nut free, dairy-free, flour-free and egg-free! I opted to use unsweetened chocolate morsels (see pic below). The Enjoy Life Brand that are often found in stores is an option, but they do contain added sugar.
The cookies make great lunch box items and anytime snacks for the kiddos. Also, feel free to double the ingredients to make a larger batch! But be careful because these chocolate chip cookies are oh so good and addicitve. These tasty treats never last long around our house, but if they should happen to last more than a day they will keep up to 7 days in an air-tight jar on the counter top or the fridge. Enjoy!
Quick Chocolate Chip Oat Cookies
- 1 3/4 cup Oats, Old Fashioned Rolled (gluten-free, if preferred)
- 1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract (or 1/2 tsp Vanilla Bean Powder)
- 1 cup Applesauce, Unsweetened
- 1 1/2 tsp Golden Flaxseed, milled (brown flax could be used but may alter taste)
- 1/4 cup Date Paste (No date paste on hand, no worries see Recipe Notes below)
- 1/4 cup Dark Chocolate Chip Morsels, Unsweetened (Enjoy Life Brand of morsels can be used but are not sugar-free)
- 1 Tbsp Dark Chocolate Chip Morsels, Unsweetened (topping of each cooking, optional)
- Using a large mixing bowl add all of the ingredients except for the Chocolate Chip Morsels. Stir the mixture until it well combined. (See recipe note below if there is no date paste on hand)
- Once the oat mixture is well combined, fold the unsweetened chocolate morsels into the mixture until well mixed. I used a unsweetend brand of morsels. You may opt to use the Enjoy Life Brand which includes added sugar, but is dairy and nut free.
- Scoop ¼ cup mounds of cookie dough onto prepared cookie sheet. Should be able to get 7-8 scoops. Using a spatula or a spoon, shape the cookies and flatten to desired size (the cookies remain same size while cooking). Optional: Garnish the tops of the cookies with additional chocolate chip morsels.
- Place prepared cookies in preheated oven. Bake for 25 minutes. Using a spatula remove cookies and place onto a cooling rack and allow to cool for 5 minutes before indulging!