There is nothing like eating a bowl of Black-Eyed Peas on the 1st day of the year. It is believed that it brings “good luck”. I believe that eating Black-Eyed Peas all year brings about “GOOD HEALTH”!
This delicious recipe inspired and adapted from Fat Free Vegan.com is full of veggies, with no added salt, oil, or sugar, and FULL OF FLAVOR! Yep you read right – “full of flavor”! I used some unique ingredients, in my opinion, to add taste and flavor to the pot. One being Kelp!
No typo – yes I used seaweed in my pot of beans. I read somewhere that adding Kelp to a pot of beans help reduce flatulence (gas). But also to my surprise, Kelp has a naturally high content of sodium. Kelp can be found in any local Asian market.
I also chose to use two different peppers. Ancho pepper has a more of a smokey flavor and chipotle brings on the kick! And of course the liquid smoke and smoked paprika enhance even more smoke.
Using the quick soak method and cooking the beans in the Instant Pot really decrease cooking time for the beans. Normally beans need to soak overnight and cook for at least two hours. Well allowing the beans to soak in hot water for 15 minutes and cooking the beans in an Instant pot for 25 minutes cuts the prep and cooking time down dramatically.
So, there you have it, easy, quick, and flavorful Black-Eyed Peas. Be sure to have our Whole Grain Cornbread with these delicious beans!
Go ahead and indulge in this delicious Black-Eyed Pea recipe all year long! Wishing you a Happy, Healthy New Year!
Watch “How To” Video
- 1 lb Black-Eyed Peas, dry
- 3-4 cups Water
- 1 large Red Bell Pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 large Yellow Onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cup)
- 8 oz White Button Mushrooms, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 stalks Celery, diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 Tbsp Garlic, minced (about 8 cloves)
- 1 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Braggs 24 Herbs & Spices Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp Ancho Chile Pepper add up to 1/2 tsp for more spice
- 1/4 tsp Chipotle Pepper add up to 1/2 tsp for more spice
- 1 Tbsp Smoked Papria
- 1 Tbsp Sumac
- 2 Tbsp Liquid Smoke, Hickory
- 3 1/4 cup Vegetable Stock, unsalted (used Kitchen Basics)
- (1) 14.5oz can Diced Tomatoes, No Salt Added
- 1/2 cup Smoked Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 2 pieces Kelp, dried (use whole or break into smaller pieces)
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Lime Juice (optional)
- QUICK BEAN SOAK: Rinse the 1lb bag of Black-Eyed Peas. Place the beans in a medium saucepan along with 3-4 cups of water. Be sure the beans are covered by the water by a few inches. Bring the pot to a boil. Remove from the heat, cover with a lid and allow to soak for AT LEAST 15 minutes or up to an hour.
- While the beans are soaking, dice the red bell pepper, the onion, celery, mushrooms and garlic.
- Using the Instant Pot, saute the chopped veggies for about 7-8 minutes. If veggies begin to stick add a splash of veggies stock or water.
- Add all of the spices, liquid smoke, diced tomatoes, and smoked sun-dried tomatoes to the Instant Pot. Give everything a quick stir.
- Remove the lid from the soaking beans. Drain all of the water from the soaked beans. Add soaked beans to Instant Pot. Add the Veggie Stock, Kelp, and Bay Leaves to the Instant Pot. Give another quick stir thru. Close the lid and the ventilation valve on the Instant Pot. Set the Instant Pot on the "Manual" mode for 25 minutes.
- After the cooking time has lapsed, allow the beans to naturally release the pressure for at least 25-30 minutes. Remove the lid from Instant Pot, stir in the Lime Juice, remove the bay leaves. Serve the beans over Brown Rice, a Potato, Kale, or Collards. Enjoy!