Oh me oh my, what a delight! These oven-baked plantains are to “live” for! Sweet, tasty, filling and healthy – all wrapped up in this banana-like, starchy fruit!
For years I would watch Will (my husband) indulge in plantains when we would go to our favorite restaurant. He would sware up and down that they were the best dessert on this side of Heaven. Needless to say, they would be drowned in oil. Well, now that we are more Heart-Healthy conscious, we avoid foods with added oils. I did a little research on the nutritional value of plantains and found out that they are full of Fiber, Vitamins, and Minerals and are worthy of adding to our plant-based lifestyle!
This recipe works best with a very ripe plantain. Often times they are green in the store. Just set them out on the kitchen table for a few days and they will ripen just like bananas.
This recipe comes together very quickly. All you need are two spices. Ground Cinnamon and Apple Pie Spice. I chose to use Saigon Ground Cinnamon because it seems to have an intense cinnamon flavor.
There’s no need to add oil to this recipe because basically nothing sticks to a pan when parchment paper is used. I chose to bake the plantain in the oven, but they come out just as good using an air fryer if you have one.
So what are you waiting for, stop walking pass those plantains on your produce aisle. Pick up a few on your next trip to the store, allow them to ripen, peel, slice, and spice them up, pop them into the oven and 30 minutes later – you too can indulge in a dessert worth “living” for! Enjoy!
PS – Now Will swares up and down this is the best dessert on this side of Heaven! 🙂
“HOW TO PREP”
Cinnamon Apple Plantain
- 1 Large Plantain, Very Ripe
- 1/4 tsp Ground Saigon Cinnamon (regular cinnamon will work too)
- 1/6 tsp Apple Pie Spice (I used McCormick brand)
- Preheat oven or air fryer to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (not wax paper) if using an oven. If using an air fryer, no parchment paper is required.
- Choose a large plantain that is very ripe. Using a knife, cut the tips of both ends. Slightly run the knife down the entire middle. Grab peel at the top of one side of the slitted skin and pull down to remove the peel.
- Slice into desired pieces or leave whole. Place on to prepared pan or air fryer tray. Sprinkle the cinnamon and apple pie spice on pieces. Gently, rub all of the pieces together to dust all sides with spices. Arrange the pieces flat on prepared pan.
- Cook plantains as indicated below for your preferred option Remove plantains from oven/air fryer. They are good served warm, but are just as tasty when cooled! Enjoy!
Oven Baked, Option
- Bake spiced plantains in oven for 30 minutes at 400F. Be sure to flip each piece over at 15 minutes to ensure browning on both sides.
Air Fried, Option
- Air fry spiced plantains in air fryer for 20 minutes at 400F.