I am in “deep dish pizza” heaven! This recipe was my husbands genius idea when we created our Flourless Pizza Crust recipe. Cheezy taste, filling and no added oils, sugar, flour and dairy free!
But wait a minute, making plant-based cheeze means using nuts. Well, although I love nut cheezes, I am on a personal mission to keep “my” intake of high-fat, plant-based foods to a minimum (trying to loose a few more inches off my mid-drift). Well, lo and behold, I found an amazing nut-free cheeze recipe from Cooking with Plants blog that I adapted and is worth “living” for! Cheezy, no nuts, and no added oil! And check this out, tastes oh, so good!
This recipe comes together very easily, but the key to a flavorful filling is using “fire roasted” bell peppers and onions. In my marketplace I have only been able to find them at Trader Joe’s. And to keep the sodium content low, I use frozen artichoke hearts with no added salt rather than artichokes in brine. The brand I use can be purchased from Whole Foods Market. And to add a hint of cheezy flavor in the filling, I added some nutrional yeast.
This pizza has a double layer crust, yes, top and bottom! Using our Flourless Pizza Crust makes it very easy to take the shape of the pan without any added oil using a non-stick pan. I prefer a 8″ springform pan, but a cake pan will work just the same.
So come on and join me in “deep dish pizza” heaven! You won’t regret it! Guilt-free indulgence!
Watch “How To” Video”:
"Fire Roasted" Veggie Deep Dish Pizza
- 3/4 cup Cauliflower, steamed (or microwaved)
- 3/4 cup Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup Sweet Potato, baked (or microwaved)
- 2 Tbsp Golden Flaxseed, milled
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/8 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Onion Powder, unsalted
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder, unsalted
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 1/2 cup Oats, Old Fashioned Rolled
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste, Unsalted (to be used in the final assembly steps)
- 14oz bag "Fire Roasted" Bell Peppers and Onions (I use Trader's Joes brand)
- 1 cup Artichoke Hearts (unsalted)
- 2 handfuls Baby Spinach (about 1 packed cup)
- 6 oz Tomato Paste, Unsalted
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 cup Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed (or any white bean. buy lowest sodium canned beans)
- 1 cup Water (I use distilled water)
- 4 tsp Miso Paste (1tbsp + 1 tsp)
- 2 Tbsp Tapioca Flour
- 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar, Raw, Unfiltered
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup Nutritional Yeast
Useful Kitchen Tools
- Food Processor
- 8" Spring Form Pan, non-stick (a non-stick round cake pan will work too)
- 10" Plate (need to be at least 1" larger in circumference of pan)
- Parchment Paper
- 2 Cookie Sheets
Pizza Crust Instructions
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Add all of the crust ingredients, EXCEPT the rolled oats and the 2 Tbsp tomato paste into a food processor fitted with an "S" blade. Process until mixture is smooth and creamy. Transfer batter to a bowl and add the rolled oats. Mix thoroughly together. Set mixture aside. NOTE: The tomato paste will be used in the final assembly steps.
- Flip a very large plate (preferably 10") onto a piece of parchment paper. Trace the circumference of the plate. Flip the parchment paper over with the circular outline facing down. Scoop 1 1/2 of the batter onto the parchment paper. Using a spatula or knife flatten out the batter evenly over the circular template. Place onto a cookie sheet and set aside.
- Trace the circumference of the 8" circular non-stick circular pan of choice onto parchment paper. Flip the paper over. Scoop out the remaining batter onto the parchment. Be sure the circular template is facing down. Evenly spread the batter over the template. Place onto cookie sheet.
- Bake both crusts for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven. Using a spatula gently release both crusts from the parchment paper.
- Allow the crust to cool enough to be handled. Invert the large crust into the 8" non-stick circular pan. Don't worry if the crust falls apart. Press and shape the crust to the pan. Pressing together any areas that separated during the transfer process. Set aside. Note: Be sure the side of the crust that was down on the parchment is facing upward in the pan. Time Saving Tip: Combine the filling and prepare the cheese while waiting for the crust to bake.
Veggie Filling Instructions
- Defrost the entire bag of fire roasted bell peppers and onions, using microwave or stove top. Once defrosted drain as much water from the veggies as possible using a colander. Transfer to a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Defrost the artichoke hearts. Chop the artichokes and add to the mixing bowl with roasted veggies. Chop the baby spinach and add to bowl.
- Add 6oz tomato paste and nutritional yeast to the bowl of veggies. Using a spatula thoroughly mix the filling and set aside.
- Add all ingredients into a blender. Blend until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a non-stick sauce pan. Heat the mixture using medium/high heat. Stir continually until the sauce thickens (about 7-10 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside. The longer the cheeze sits the thicker it gets.
Final Assembly Instructions
- Add the veggie mixture to the pizza crusted pan. Evenly distribute the veggies using a spatula.
- Invert the smaller pizza crust over onto the veggies. Press evenly over the top of the veggie filled crust. Press the edges to seal. Spread 2 Tbsp tomato paste over the top crust. Note: Be sure the side of the crust that was down on the parchment is facing upward in the pan.
- Place the assemble pizza into the oven. Bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove pizza from oven and immediately pour the cheeze sauce over the top of the pizza. Allow pizza to rest for at least 15 minutes before cutting. If using a spring form pan release the ring before cutting.