This breakfast scramble has become one of the kids favorites breakfast. Before going Whole Food Plant Based, me and hubby loved scrambled eggs but my kids really didn’t enjoy them. To my surprise I tried this recipe that was inspired and adapted from Dr. Neal Barnard’s book “21-Day Kickstart”and the kiddos loved it! Easy to make, tasty, filling and most importantly free of eggs, dairy, added oil, salt and sugar.
I chose to use one of my favorite seasonings, Braggs 24-Herbs and Spice Seasoning in this recipe. To give a hint of cheezy flavor Nutrional Yeast always does the trick for my taste buds. I also chose to use a silken extra firm tofu for the crumbly-smooth texture.
Many recipes for tofu scramble add Indian Black Salt also known as Kala Namak for an eggy taste. My kiddos prefer the scramble with the indian black salt. In my opinion, I enjoy the dish without it. After all, I am not eating eggs.
So, go ahead whip up this delightful, filling dish. Free of cholesterol and full of taste!
Watch “How To” Video
- 1 medium Red Potato, diced (Yukon Gold potato works too)
- 1/2 large Red Onion, chopped
- 2 handfuls Kale or Baby Spinach, destemmed and chopped
- 12.3 oz Tofu, silken, extra firm (I used Mori-Nu brand)
- 1/2 tsp Braggs 24 Herbs & Spices Seasoning (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder, unsalted (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder, unsalted (or more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp Ground Tumeric (or more to taste)
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast (or more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp Kala Namak (Black Mineral Salt) (optional - gives eggy taste)
- Scrub potato and rinse well. Dice potato and place into steamer basket in a pot with water. Steam for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- While diced potatoes are steaming, chop red onion into small pieces. Add to a non-stick pan. De-stem and chop kale. Add to pan with onions. Sautee for 5 minutes on medium high heat. Add a splash (1tbsp) of water if need to keep veggies from sticking to pan. Move sauteed veggies to one side of pan.
- Remove tofu from packing and drain. Add tofu to pan with sauteed kale and onions. Using the back of a large spoon, mash tofu to desired crumbled texture.
- Add all spices to tofu. Gently stir spices thru tofu and heat for about 3-4 min. Add the steamed cubed potatos to pan and mix the entire mixture together until well combine. Taste and adjust spices if desired. Enjoy!