OMG! I have arrived in “dessert heaven”! This chocolate sundae is to “Live” for! My dear husband who loves desserts came up with this amazing treat! No added sugar, oil, salt, or flour, dairy-free, and gluten-free! But trust me when I say it is ooohhhhhh soooooo goood!
Let me start by saying that we love sweet potatoes! And our favorite is the Japanese Sweet Potato. They are a very dense, sweet potato that has a pound cake-like texture. You can find them at any local Asian Market or Whole Foods Market. We batch cook these tasty yams and keep them in the fridge for a quick grab.
Also if you haven’t indulged in flavor-infused balsamic vinegars, you are definitely missing a treat. The “Dark Chocolate” balsamic vinegar in this recipe is delectable and a guilt free indulgence! In my opinion I enjoy 4% acidity vinegars that have been flavor infused. The taste of the vinegar is not so “bitter”, but rather take on a sweeter taste.
Some of the best tasting flavor infused vinegars I have indulged in are from Bema and Pas. Check out the large variety of the flavors that are available and purchase some. You can get a 10% discount by using the code CHEFAJ.
Now we can truly have our cake and eat it too!
Watch “How To” Video
Chocolate Balsamic Strawberry "Yam Sundae"
- 1 large Japanese Sweet Potato, baked and chilled
- 1 Tbsp Dark Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar
- 4 large Strawberries, Fresh
- 1 Tbsp Walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 2 large Bananas, very ripe, frozen
- 2 Tbsp Plant-Based Milk, Unsweetened
- 1/4 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- Slice chilled Japanese Sweet Potato into 1" slices. Set aside.
- Slice/chop fresh strawberries and put into a bowl. Pour the chocolate balsamic vinegar over the strawberries and stir until completely covered. Set asisde.
- Place frozen bananas, unsweetened plant-based milk, and vanilla extract into blender. Blend until smooth.
- Using a plate or a bowl, put 1 slice of the japanese sweet potato onto plate/bowl. Add 1 scoop of the banana N'ice cream on top of the potato slice. Repeat this process to desired height. Be sure that a scoop of N'ice cream is on top of your final layer.
- Top yam stack with chocolate glazed strawberries and walnuts, if desired. Enjoy!
- Wrap clean potatoes in aluminum foil.
- Bake in oven for 1 hour at 400F. Then reduce temp to 350 and bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until sweet potato is soft.
- Allow to cool to room temp, then store in fridge until ready to use. Will keep for up to 7 days.