Need I say more! Macaroni and cheese! This dish is creamy, cheezy and comforting! Whips up in a flash and is one of our kiddos favorite comfort foods!
This is not your traditional mac-n-cheese. 100% whole food plant-based, dairy and oil free. The sweet potatoes give the cheese the orange-like color, and added creaminess, with a touch of sweetness. I often keep sweet baked sweet potatoes in the oven but keeping the frozen sweet potato cubes in the freezer makes it very convenient when needed.
Also, any “whole” grain pasta can be used for this recipe, but I prefer brown rice pasta. The particular brand I use can be purchased at my local Walmart and Kroger grocery store. Often times it is in the “gluten-free” section of the store. Be sure to use nutritional yeast for this recipe which gives the cheezy flavor. Also, be sure to use “raw” cashews. These are nuts that have not been roasted and has no added salt. I get my raw cashews from Trader’s Joes.
So what are you waiting for? Whether you have kids or not, this dish is sure to be a taste bud and belly pleaser! Enjoy!
Watch “How To Video”
Kids' Mac & Creamy Cashew Cheeze
- 1 1/2 cups Brown Rice Pasta (any "whole grain" pasta will do)
- 1/2 cup Raw Cashews
- 1/2 cup Water (heat the water if not using a high speed blender)
- 1/4 cup Plant-Based Milk, Unsweetened ( I prefer Soy - "Silk" brand)
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 cup Sweet Potato Cubes, frozen
- 2 Tbsp Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice (or more to taste)
- 1 Tbsp Miso Paste (chickpea or brown rice miso can be used)
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp Onion Powder, unsalted
- 1 pinch Smoked Paprika (1/16 tsp)
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Remove pasta from heat. Drain, but do not rinse pasta. Return pasta back to the saucepan and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, cook the frozen sweet potato cubes. MICROWAVE: 4 minutes STOVE TOP: Using a steamer basket in a saucepan, steam for 5 minutes or until fork tender. Do not boil the sweet potato in water. Add cooked sweet potatoes to blender.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients except the pasta into a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth. If not using a high-speed blender consider heating the 1/2 cup of water and allowing the cashews to soak in hot water in the blender for about 15 minutes before blending all ingredients to soften the cashews.
- Add the cashew cheeze sauce to the drained pasta. Stir well and serve immediately!