Cornbread is one of those southern comfort foods that make any meal that much more satisfying. This moist, sweet cornbread makes the perfect addition to any meal.
This delicious cornbread inspired and adapted from Forks Over Knives has simple wholesome whole, plant-based ingredients. Applesauce and Medjool dates are the perfect combination of sweetness. The sweet corn adds more texture and rich corn taste.
Instead of using plant-based milk in the recipe, I opted to yellow squash. Adding squash to baked goods adds moisture without the need for adding oils. Using squash instead of milk would also benefit those individuals who have allergies to nuts and soy which are main ingredients for many plant-based kinds of milk.
The use of rolled oats and corn meal makes makes the perfect blend of whole grains for this bread. You can purchase oat flour already milled. In my opinion its more practical to buy rolled oats that way it can be used for hot cereal or blend into a flour when needed for baking.
So the next time you have a taste for a good piece of cornbread, look no further. Whip us this wholesome cornbread and enjoy!
Watch the “How To” Video
Whole Grain Cornbread
- 1 cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1 cup Yellow Corn Meal (used Hodgson Mill brand)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 cup Sweet Corn Kernels, frozen
- 8 Medjool Date, pitted and halved
- 1/2 cup Water
- 3/4 cup Yellow Squash See "Recipe Notes" for option without Yellow Squash
- 1/2 cup Applesauce, Unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 350. Get a 8x8 non-stick square pan and set aside.
- Place rolled oats into a blender and blend into flour. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the yellow corn meal, baking powder and soda to the mixing bowl with the oat flour. Whisk ingredients together. Add the frozen corn kernels and give another quick stir thru. Set the bowl aside.
- Chop the yellow squash to equal 3/4 cup. Slice the dates in half and remove the pits.
- Add the dates, water, yellow squash, and applesauce to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add the blended wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix ingredients together until well blended.
- Pour the batter into a non-stick 8x8 pan. Spread evenly in the pan. Bake in oven for 35 minutes. MUFFINS: bake for 30 minutes. Mini Muffins: bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow the bread to cool at least 20 minutes prior to slicing. The longer the cornbread cools the firmer the texture. Cut into squares and enjoy!