Now, this is dessert heaven! Chocolate and sweet potatoes all wrapped up into one delightful dessert! Mmmmm good!
This delightful cake inspired and adapted from Dreena Burton has become our family’s favorites special occasion cake! The Lemon Cashew Cream Icing and the Chocolate Pudding Icing is the perfect compliment to the chocolate cake.
No one would ever guess that this sweet moist cake is made with veggies and fruit! Baking with applesauce, zucchini, and sweet potatoes are healthier alternatives than using butter or oils. Simple whole plant-based ingredients, simple.
The majority of these simple ingredients can be purchased from your local market. The Date Syrup can be purchased from Amazon.
So the next time you have a special occasion, make this delightful chocolate cake and indulge with no guilt! 🙂
Watch “How To”Video:
SWEET POTATO CHOCOLATE DELIGHT CAKE
- 1/2 cup Date Syrup
- 1/3 cup Applesauce, Unsweetened
- 1/3 cup Zucchini
- 1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup Baked Orange Sweet Potato (skin removed)
- 1/4 cup Cacao Powder
- 1 Tbsp Water
- 1/4 cup "Enjoy Life" Mini Choc. Chip Morsels
- 1` cup Spelt Flour (or Barley or Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour) (see note below)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 6" Round Pan Set (non-stick)
- Parchment Paper
- 1 batch Chocolate Pudding Icing (see recipe link below, made in advance)
- 1 batch Lemon Cashew Cream Icing (see recipe link below, made in advance)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line each round pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add date syrup, zucchini, applesauce, balsamic vinegar and pure vanilla extract to a blender. Blend until smooth. Then add the baked orange sweet potato and cacao powder to the blender. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add the chocolate morsels. Sift in the spelt flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Then using the 1 Tbsp of water and rinse out the remnants of the wet ingredients fromthe blender and pour into the bowl. Using a spatula mix batter until well incorporated.
- Evenly distribute the batter between there two pans. Give both pans a few taps on the table to level out and remove air pockets.
- Bake for 30 minutes (35 minutes if using Barley). Remove from the oven. Allow the cake to cool at least 30 minutes. Then flip the cake over and allow to cool for an additional 1 1/2 hour. This will help to flatten the tops of the cakes and level the layers.
- Once the cake is completely cooled. Remove the parchment paper and place the inverted cake onto a plate. Add about 2/3 cup of the lemon cashew cream icing and spread evenly.
- Remove the parchment paper from the second layer and place the cake on top of the cashew icing. Add the chocolate pudding icing and spread evenly on the sides and top until the entire cake is completely covered. Cover the cake with a cake cover. Refridgerate the cake for a couple of hours before slicing. Slice and enjoy! Note: keep the cake refridgerated. Will keep for 5 days in fridge.
4 Comments Add yours
I made this today after watching your family on chef aj live and discovering your channel.
I didn’t have apple sauce but used a banana instead and left out the chocolate chips as didn’t have these either, but the cake was sooo delicious. Thank you so much for sharing this.
Hey Amanda! So glad you enjoyed the Sweet Potato Chocolate Cake. The sky is the limit in a plant-powered kitchen! Thank you so much for connecting with us! Have a super fantastic day because you simply can!
This looks delicious and seems less complicated than I thought. Faith, you made it look easy. Can’t wait to try it.
Hey Chris! Thanks so much for the kind compliment. This cake is one of our family’s favorites and YES it is very simple to make. Hope you give it a try soon and let us know how much you enjoyed it!