Do you have a can of chickpeas? Well, you have a quick and easy plant-based meal. Yes, Hummus (pureed chickpeas) is one of the simplest and tastiest plant-based dishes. You can dip it, spread, and mix it in whatever your heart desires. One of my favorite ways to enjoy hummus is on a L.A.T.O (Lettuce, Avocado, Tomato, Onion) Hummus Sandwich!
I don’t eat sandwiches too often, but when I do this satisfies my sandwich craving. What I love about a hummus sandwich is that you can fill it with whatever veggies you like. I love keeping it simple. This sandwich sort of reminds me of a BLT (minus the bacon). But I must say it is 10x better and I don’t get indigestion after eating it. Lol
So, the next time you have a taste for a simple but tasty sandwich, whip up this hummus and have at it!
Watch the “How To Video”
L. A. T. O. HUMMUS SANDWICH
- 1 can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed (reserve the liquid from can aka "aquafaba")
- 2 Tbsp Aquafaba (the liquid from can)
- 3 Tbsp Fresh lemon Juice
- 1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder, unsalted
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder, unsalted
- 2 Tbsp Spicy Brown Mustard
- 1/8 tsp Chipotle Pepper
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 2 slices Whole Grain Bread (Our fave is Ezekiel 4:9 - low sodium option)
- Lettuce (your choice)
- Tomato (I used Roma)
- Ripe Avocado
- Onion (I used red onion)
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. NOTE: Be sure to reserve at least 2 TBSP of aquafaba (liquid from the can). Add all remaining hummus ingredients to a food processor. Blend all ingredients. Add aquafaba to thin out the hummus. Continue to process until the hummus is smooth.
- Spread the desired amount of hummus on both slices of bread. Dash with red pepper flakes if a little heat is desired. Add remaining veggies. Assemble the sandwich, slice and enjoy!