Who doesn’t love macaroni and cheese? Well, I know my kiddos love mac and cheese but hold the dairy, please! Yes, macaroni and cheese that is dairy free and nut free, but lots of creaminess and full of flavor!
Our kids favorite pasta recipe is the Mac & Creamy Cashew Cheese. Although extra yummy, the cashews lend a high-fat content to the dish. When I saw a nut-free version from Cooking with Plants, I was inspired and adapted a nut-free version. Oh my word, nothing but pure y-u-m-m-i-n-e-s-s!
When I tell you the cheezy sauce is to “live” for. it truly is. The combination of the potatoes, the oats, and the hemp seed lends the perfect creaminess to the cheese. And the combination of the lemon juice with the Nutritional Yeast lends the mild cheezy flare.
So the next time you have a taste for some macaroni and cheese, ditch the traditional dairy cheese and make this dairy-free, nut-free version. Your taste buds and your tummy will thank you for it!
Watch “How To” Video:
- 1 1/2 cup Brown Rice Pasta
- 1 cup Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup Baby Carrots (about 6 baby carrots)
- 1/2 cup Onions, chopped
- 1/8 cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1/8 cup Hemp Seeds (or an additional 1/8 cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats)
- 3 Tbsp Fresh lemon Juice
- 1/8 tsp Chipotle Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder, unsalted
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Miso Paste
- 1/2 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1/8 tsp Dried Dill Weed
- 1/8 tsp Smoked Paprika
- Using a large pot, fill with water and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package. Drain and set aside.
- Peel and dice 1 cup of Yukon Gold Potatoes. Roughly chop baby carrots. Chop 1/2 cup of onions. STOVETOP: Pour water into a medium-size pot. Steam or boil the potatoes, carrots, and onions for 8 minutes. Drain the veggies and add to a high-speed blender. NOTE: Reserve 1/2 cup of hot water from veggies. MICROWAVE: Place the diced potatoes, sliced carrots, and diced onions onto a microwave-safe dish. Microwave for 7-8 minutes until the potatoes are done.
- Add 1/2 cup of hot water to the blender. Add the cooked veggies, and all remaining ingredients, except for pasta to the blender. Blend until smooth, creamy.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta. Stir very well. Allow the pasta to sit about 5 minutes to allow the cheese sauce to thicken. Serve and Enjoy!