Well, it’s about that time of the year for cookouts and picnics. There’s no other food that says summertime like potato salad!
Being from the south, potato salad was definitely a comfort food throughout the year, but I particularly remember enjoying potato salads most in the summertime at cookouts.
Traditional potato salad often calls for mayo, eggs, sugar, and salt. When I saw “Plant-Perfect Potato Salad” on Jane Esselstyns YouTube Channel I was inspired to create the perfect potato salad to my southern liking.
The dressing is void any added eggs, oil, or sugar. The base of the dressing is made with potato, some applesauce, and hemp seeds. Whuuuut, yes you read right! lol. This inspired and adapted potato mayo from Cooking with Plants is the perfect formula for a low-fat dressing option. Those three ingredients blended together add the perfect creaminess without added oils or nuts. Medjool dates, of course, is natures candy, so no need for added sugar. The Nutritional Yeast, lemon juice and dijon mustard add the perfect “twangy” flare. Kala Namak Black Salt adds a mild “eggy” taste without adding eggs or intense saltiness. But if you are following a low sodium diet, by all means, feel free to omit.
Believe me when I say this Dill Potato Salad is to “live” for. So regardless of whether for a cookout or a side dish for dinner meal, this potato salad will sure to please.
Watch “How To” Video:
DILL POTATO SALAD WITH POTATO MAYO
Potato Mayo Dressing
- 1 medium Red Potato, scrubbed, peeled and chopped
- 2 large Medjool Date, pitted
- 3 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar, Raw, Unfiltered
- 1 Tbsp Fresh lemon Juice
- 2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder, unsalted
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder, unsalted
- 1 Tbsp Hemp Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 cup Applesauce, Unsweetened
- 1/2 - 3/4 tsp Kala Namak (Black Mineral Salt) (Omit for reduced sodium version) - See Recipe Note
- 8 medium Red Potatoes, scrubbed and chopped
- 2 stalks Celery, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 Tbsp Dried Dill Weed
- 2 Tbsp Dried Chives
- 1 1/2 cup Potato Mayo Dressing (above)
- garnish Smoked Paprika (optional)
- garnish Fresh Dill (optional)
Potato May Dressing
- Fill a small saucepan with water. Rinse, scrub, peel and roughly chop one medium red potato (about 1 cup). Add potatoes to water-filled saucepan. Boil for 8-10 minutes until fork tender.
- Drain boiled potatoes. Add the boiled potatoes and the remaining dressing ingredients to a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Rinse, scrub, and dice 8 medium-size red potatoes. Add diced potatoes to a large saucepan and fill with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Drain the potatoes in a colander and rinse under cold water until cool. Allow excess water to drain from the potatoes. Transfer the cooled potatoes to a large mixing bowl
- Chop the celery into small pieces. Add the chopped celery, dill weed, chives, and the potato mayo to the mixing bowl. Mix well. Place bowl "uncovered" in the fridge for a couple of hours to allow the salad to marinade and the sauce to thicken.
- Plate the potato salad, garnish with smoked paprika and fresh dill weed. Enjoy!