When I think of comfort food, I think of Mashed Potatoes and Gravy! The ultimate comfort food is Mashed Potatoes and Gravy without added butter, diary, salt and flour! What….. Yes! Trust me when I tell you that these are the best mashed potatoes and gravy on this side of mashed potato and gravy heaven!
As a little girl, raised in the south, we always made mashed potatoes with plenty of butter, salt, and milk. Eliminating added oils of all types, dairy, and salt altogether, these mashed potatoes hit the spot with flavor and creaminess!
Now I know you are wondering , “If no added oil or milk, what do you use for added creaminess”? Well I am glad you asked! Drum roll please ………. Cauliflower! Yes, Cauliflower adds a wonderful creaminess to these delicious mashed potatoes!
Of course, onions and garlic makes everything taste better in my humble opinion. Aside from the anti-inflammory properties of ginger and turmeric, the addition of the two not only give the potatoes the buttery color affect, they also add wonderful flavor along with a little kick from the chipotle pepper.
Gravy is my all time favorite too. But gravy without any added flour, oil and salt is never heard of from where I am from! Well, I am pleased to say that this savory gravy is to “live for” without any added flour, oil or salt, but yet full of flavor and creaminess!
Many gravies call for the use of flours. I like making gravies using the whole cooked grain. I used brown rice in my mushroom and onion gravy in my Mashed Potatoes -n- Gravy recipe. I have recently fallen in love with the whole grain Millet, my favorite brand being Bob’s Red Mill. Its a very light and versatile whole grain and is gluten free! So I figured why not make a gravy with it and it worked!
Because this gravy is salt-free does not mean it’s tasteless. The veggies, spices and herbs makes the gravy full of savory goodness! My husband swears that this gravy reminds him of the “giblet” gravy that his mother used to make and we didn’t even have to use any part of the chicken to acheive it! Mission accomplished!
With Thanksgiving around the corner, this Millet Gravy and Creamy Mashed Potatoes will be definitely gracing my Thanksgiving spread! Not only will it be gracing my table during this holiday season, but throughout the year at least 3 times a week!
So if you are in search of tasty mashed potatoes and gravy, look no further. These Creamy Mashed Potatoes and Millet Gravy will sure to please! Enjoy!
Watch “How To Video”:
Creamy Mashed Potatoes with Millet Gravy
Millet Gravy Broth Ingredients
- 1 cup Water
- 2 stalks Celery
- 1/2 small Onion
- 1/4 cup Carrots, julienne
- 1/4 cup White Button Mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup Cauliflower
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 tsp Dried Crushed Rosemary
- 1/2 tsp Dried Basil
- 1/2 tsp Thyme, dried
- 1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar, reduced (4% acidity) Do not use 6% acidity
- 1/8 tsp Ground Sage (or Poultry Seasoning; we prefer sage)
- 1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 3 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp Mrs. Dash Onion & Herb
- 1 1/2 cup Millet, cooked (See recipe notes below)
Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- 6 large Russet Potatoes, peeled
- 1 large Onion
- 1 cup Cauliflower
- 8 large Garlic Cloves
- 1/4 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/8 tsp Chipotle Pepper
Millet Gravy Instructions
- Gravy Recipe makes about 3 cups. INSTANT POT Method: Add the first ten gravy ingredients to an IP. Cook on "Manual" for 5 minutes. Immediately release the steam valve to release the pressure. Remove the Bay Leaf. Transfer remaining IP contents to a high-speed blender. STOVE-TOP Method: Add the first ten gravy ingredients of the gravy to a small saucepan. Add an additional 1/4 cup of water to the pot. Cover and bring the pot to a boil. Reduce to medium-high heat and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and transfer remaining pot contents to a high-speed blender.
- Add the ground sage, smoked paprika, nutritional yeast, Mrs. Dash onion & herb, and cooked millet to the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Serve immediately or transfer to a small saucepan and keep warm on very low heat. Enjoy! Note: The longer the gravy sits the thicker it gets. Feel free to add a little vegetable stock to thin it out.
Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- INSTANT POT Method: Place a steamer basket and water into an Instant Pot. Place the peeled Russet potatoes, onions, cauliflower, and garlic cloves into the IP. Cook on "Steam" for 15 minutes. Release the steam valve to release the pressure. Transfer the cooked veggies to a food processor fitted with an "S" blade. STOVETOP Method: Place a steamer basket and water into a large pot. Place the Russet potatoes and onions into the pot. Cover and bring the pot to a boil then reduce to medium-high heat. Steam for 15 minutes. Then add the cauliflower and the garlic cloves to the pot. Continue to steam for another 15 minutes. Check to ensure the potatoes are fork-tender. Transfer the steamed veggies to a food processor fitted with an "S" blade.
- Add the turmeric, ginger, and chipotle pepper to the food processor. Processor the veggies in 1-minute increments stirring with a spatula in between to check for desired creaminess. Feel free to add a little more chipotle for a little added extra kick. NOTE: DO NOT over-process the potatoes or they will become gooey instead of creamy.
- Serve immediately with some Millet Gravy drizzled on top. Enjoy!