I absolutely love collard greens! I can eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! The fact that these collards are full of flavor without the addition of salt, oil, or sugar makes them that much more worth indulging in at any time!
Born and raised in the south, Collard greens frequented our plates not just during the holidays but all throughout the year especially on Sundays! However, they were always prepared with some type of smoked meat and lots of salt and sugar.
Now that our family lives a Whole Food Plant-Based lifestyle, making healthier but flavorful collards has not been a challenge. We have two recipes for collards, Smoky Coconut Collards and Table Tasty Collards which are both amazingly delicious! However, these collards are second to none! Bursting with flavor, free of added oil, salt, and sugar!
How is it possible to prepare collards without added oil, salt, or sugar with a little smokey flare? Well, drum roll please. The secret ingredients are the Smoked Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Lime Juice, and the “reduced” Balsamic Vinegar. Simply amazing additions that makes these collards absolutely divinely delicious!
Please note, be sure to use “reduced” (4%) acidity Balsamic Vinegar in this recipe because of the intense sweetness. I would also highly recommend using the “smoked” Sun-Dried Tomatoes for a much more intense savory flavor.
Cooking collards the traditional way on the stove top is labor intense. Thank heaven for the Instant Pot! It has become my favorite appliance! Now I can put collards on and walk away from the stove. The Instant Pot does all of the cooking and checking for me! Now that’s care-free cooking!
Simple and quick to make, these Sweet and Savory Collards are to live for! They grace our table at least 2-3 times a week! Southern deliciousness at it’s best!
Watch “How To” Video:
"Instant Pot" Sweet and Savory Collards
- 1 large bunch Collard Greens, destemmed, chopped, and rinsed (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 3 oz Smoked Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 8 cloves garlic (about 1 oz)
- 1 large Yellow Onion, Chopped
- 1/2 cup White Button Mushrooms, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder, unsalted
- 1 Tbsp Onion Powder, unsalted
- 1/2 tsp Chipotle Chile Pepper
- 1/3 cup Balsamic Vinegar, reduced (4% acidity)
- 2/3 cup Veggie Stock, unsalted (used Kitchen Basics)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice
- Rinse the collards in running water or allow them to soak overnight in the kitchen sink filled with water. Using a serrated knife destem each collard and cut into bite-sized pieces or strips. Set aside in a large bowl.
- Using a food processor chop the Garlic and the Smoked Sun-Dried Tomatoes and transfer to the Instant Pot. Chop the Onions and Mushrooms and add them to the Instant Pot. Add a splash of water to the Instant Pot and sautee the veggies using the "Sautee" mode for about 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add water as needed to keep veggies from sticking. After the veggies are finished sauteeing turn off the Instant Pot.
- Add the chopped collards to the Instant Pot. In a separate bowl add the Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Chipotle Chile Pepper, the Reduced Balsamic Vinegar, and the Unsalted Veggie Stock. Stir until mixed well. Pour over the Collards in the IP. Engage the lid and ensure the steamer valve is closed.
- Cook the collards on the "Manual" mode for 25 minutes with at least a 20-25 minute "Natural Release". Open the IP and give the Collards a thorough mix thru. Add the Lime Juice and give another good stir thru. Serve and enjoy!