Cabbages are one of my favorite southern comfort foods. I can remember as a kid always enjoying my mom’s and granny’s cabbages. Of course, they were seasoned with smoked meat, salt, and sugar. Needless to say, when I began living a Whole Food Plant-Based lifestyle I thought that I would be deprived of the tasty cabbages I enjoyed as a child. These here Sweet and Savory Cabbages are not only a healthier alternative, free of any added oils, salts, and sugars, but they are full of flavor!
This fabulous recipe was inspired by CookingLight.com’s Sauteed Spiced Apples and Cabbage. The spices in this recipe really make all the world of difference in taste. The balance between the savory spices, the sweetness of the pineapples, and the sour of the vinegar make the perfect subtle salty flare without adding salt. Simple ingredients and wholesome goodness.
So if you are looking for some tasty cabbages, then look no further. Meat-lover or vegan, these Sweet and Savory cabbages will sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
Watch “HOW TO” Video:
SWEET AND SAVORY CABBAGES
- 2 lb Green Cabbage Head
- 1 large Red Onion
- 1 20 oz can Pineapple Chunks, in juice not syrup
- 1 20 oz can Crushed Pineapples, in juice not syrup
- 2 Tbsp Garlic, minced (about 8 cloves)
- 3/4 tsp Caraway Seeds
- 3/4 tsp Coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Chipotle Chile Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Allspice
- 1/2 cup Veggie Stock, unsalted (I use Kitchen Basics brand)
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar, Raw, Unfiltered
- Remove the dark green leaves from the cabbage head. Rinse the dark green leaves, remove the hard stem, and thinly slice them. Set aside in a bowl. Trim the end of the cabbage head, then cut the cabbage head into quarters. Thinly slice each quarter. Then separate the thinly cut cabbage and place it into the bowl with the slice dark green leaves and set aside. Optional: Remove the core from cabbage before thinly slicing if you prefer not to have crunchy pieces in the dish.
- Thinly slice the large red onion and place it into a non-stick pan. Add the pineapples (chunky and crushed), the garlic, and spices to the pan with the onions. Give a quick stir-thru. Cover, bring to boil, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the sliced cabbages, the veggie stock, and vinegar to the pan. Cover and cook on medium-high heat for 10 minutes. Give another stir-thru. Cover and continue to cook for an additional 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. NOTE: If the liquid should evaporate before the cabbages are tender, add about 1/2 cup of water and continue to cook to your desired tenderness. ALSO NOTE: It is important that there is no liquid left in the pan to result in the full flavor of the dish. If after the 3o minutes' cook time there is water in the pan, then remove the lid and continue to cook until all of the water has dissipated.
- Serve and Enjoy!
14 Comments Add yours
I can’t wait to make this! I’ve only had cabbage as a coleslaw and this sounds and looks so good. I’m wondering if I could use my Instant Pot and if so how long would I cook it? Have you made it in one yet? Thank you for sharing the recipe with us all!
Hey Carolyn! I have not tried this recipe in the Instant Pot. I would suspect the cooking time would be cut in half. But for this recipe, the more liquid left in the dish results in less flavor. This is why I chose to cook on the stovetop because the Instant Pot would leave too much liquid in the end product. But you could give it a try and let me know how they turned out. 🙂
I love cabbage too and this sounds phenomenal! I never thought of combining cabbage and pineapple except in coleslaw. Cannot wait to try this. Thank you!
Hey Diane! Yes, who would’ve thought? Pineapples definitely make our world go round! (lol) Enjoy!
I made the cabbage and they were wonderful, a new twist on the regular boring cabbage recipes. I will definitely be making it again.
Yay! So glad to hear that you enjoyed the Sweet and Savory Cabbages! They have definitely become our favorite way of making cabbages!
I made this last week and WOW…It’s delicious! Easy to make and delicious. Love your Youtube channel and your recipes are great.
Hey Kristine! It is so glad to hear that you enjoyed the cabbages! We truly appreciate you and your support! Have a super fantastic day because you simply can!
We tried your recipe today for lunch. It was a hit! My first mostly cabbage dish. Thank you
Hey Karen! So glad to hear that you enjoyed the cabbages! Have a great day because you simply can!
This recipe sounds delicious! I will definitely give it a try. Thanks for all your delicious recipes. You have a beautiful family, be blessed!
Hello Shirley! Thank you so much for the kind compliment. Hope you enjoy the cabbages as much as we do! Have a great day because you simply can!
Thank you for sharing : ) I saw you and and your beautiful family on chef AJ. I will try the sweet and savory cabbage.
Hello Guadalupe! Thank you for the kind compliment! Hope you enjoy the cabbages as much as we do! Have a super fantastic day because you simply can!