Did you know that you can make a loaf without meat, nuts, tofu, oils, beans, and gluten? You are probably asking yourself what is there left to use? Well, the whole grain, Millet, and lots of veggies make an amazing Meatless loaf.
As a kid growing up, there wasn’t a week that went by that we didn’t have meatloaf for a dinner meal and the next day have meatloaf sandwiches for lunch. So when I transitioned to a Whole Food Plant Based lifestyle I was so glad to see that there were so many options for making meatless loafs. Lentil Loafs and ChickPea Loafs quickly became my family’s favorite meatless loaf. So when I found out that Millet can be used to make a meatless loaf, I was all in!
This is not your typical mushy vegan loaf either. The whole grain, Millet, along with a bunch of savory veggies and spices makes the perfect toothsomeness for a delicious loaf for dinner or any holiday celebration. It tastes even better the next day, making it perfect for a cold meatless loaf sandwich. Now our family has a new favorite meatless loaf, the Millet Loaf!
So go ahead, try this Meatless (Millet) Loaf. I guarantee you won’t miss the meat!
Watch “How to” Video:
Get2dRootHealthandWellness.com is an affiliate with Amazon. If you choose to purchase a product through any of the affiliate links on our website, at no cost to you, our site earns a commission from the sale. Thank you for supporting our website and our passion for spreading the good news of how tasty Whole Plant-Based Food really is!
Meatless Loaf (Gluten, Bean, Nut, Soy and Oil Free)
- 3/4 cup Millet
- 1 1/2 cup Veggie Stock, unsalted
- 10 oz bag Frozen Seasoning Blend (Onions, Celery, Red Peppers, Green Peppers, Parsley) or chop 1 large onion, 1 celery stalk, Bell Pepper (your choice of color) and 1 tsp Dried Parsley
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- ½ cup Julienne Carrots, finely chopped
- ½ cup Marinara Sauce or low-sodium Salsa
- 1 Tbsp Dried Thyme
- 1 Tbsp Rubbed Sage
- 1 Tbsp Onion Powder, unsalted
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder, unsalted
- 1 Tbsp Sumac
- 1 ½ tsp Coriander
- 1 ½ tsp Dried Parsley
- 1 Tbsp Liquid Smoke Hickory or Mesquite
- ¼ tsp Chipotle Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Dash "Everything But the Salt" Seasoning Blend
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Kale or Baby Spinach, finely chopped
- ½ cup Marinara Sauce or Salsa (low-sodium)
- 4-6 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- ¼ tsp Liquid Smoke
- 1 tsp Date Sugar or Maple Syrup
- 1/8 tsp Chipotle Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F
- INSTANT POT: Place the Millet and Veggie Stock into an Instant Pot. Place the lid on and seal the pot & valve. Press 'pressure cook/manual' for 9 minutes. After the pot has come to pressure and cook the millet for the set time, allow the pot to naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes. Remove the lid.
- STOVE TOP: Place Veggie Stock into a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add the Millet cover and bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until all of the water has evaporated. Remove from heat.
- Place the Garlic, Recipe Starter, and Carrots into a non-stick saucepan. Saute on medium-high heat, covered for about 5 minutes. Then uncover and cook an additional 2-3 minutes until all of the water has evaporated. Turn off the heat. NOTE: If using fresh onions celery and green peppers, and a splash of water or veggie stock to the pan while sauteeing to keep veggies from sticking.
- Add all of the spices, marinara sauce, and Kale. Mix all of the ingredients together. Then add in the Millet. Make sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Transfer the Millet mixture to the pan and press evenly in the pan.
- Mix all of the topping ingredients in a bowl. Then spread evenly over the Millet Loaf.
- Bake uncovered in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes. Then remove from pan and place on to a cooling rack and allow to cool for another 15 minutes. Slice and Enjoy!
2 Comments Add yours
Hi. Nice recipe. Do you know how much cooked millet this would be? Thanks
Hello Sue! The Millet yields about 3 1/2 cups cooked. Have a super fantastic day because you simply can!