This vegan cheese ball is to live for! It’s creamy, full of savory goodness, with that tangy cheese flavor! Perfect appetizer for holidays, potlucks, or game days. No one will not believe it’s dairy or nut free.
Creamy Cauliflower Cheese Ball
This vegan cheese ball is creamy, full of savory goodnes, with that tangy cheese flavor! Perfect appetizer for holidays, potlucks, or game day. No one will not believe it's dairy or nut free.
- 1 cup Raw Sunflower Seeds
- 2 cups Frozen Cauliflower
- 4 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 3 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar (with the Mother) (use 2 Tbsp if you prefer less tangy)
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder, unsalted
- 2 Tbsp Miso Paste (can be purchased from any local Asian market)
- 3 Tbsp Tapioca Starch
- 2 ½ tsp Hickory Smoked Torula Yeast (or Nutritional Yeast)
- ½ tsp Lactic Acid
- ½ cup Hot Water
Agar Agar Thickner
- 3/4 cup Water
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Agar Agar Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Dried Parsley
- Dash "Everything But Salt"
- Place a steamer basket in a pan with water. Add the Sunflower Seeds and Cauliflower to the steamer basket. Cover the pan. Bring the water to a boil. Steam for 8 minutes.
- While the veggies and sunflower seeds are steaming, add the remaining cheese spices into a blender. Then add the steamed veggies and seeds along with 1/2 cup of hot water from the pan to the blender. Blend until smooth.
- In a saucepan, add 3/4 cup of water and Agar Agar. Stir until well combined. Bring contents to a boil. Cook for 4-6 minutes, continually stirring with a spatula. The Agar will thicken. Continue to stir until it starts to form into a thick jelly-like consistency. Immediately add to the blender with the cheese mixture and blend until completely smooth.
- Transfer the cheese contents into two containers lined with "cling wrap". Place the containers in the fridge, uncovered for at least 1 -2 hours. The longer the cheese chill the firmer it gets.
- Invert the firm cheese ball onto a plate. Garnish with spices and herbs. I prefer to sprinkle and press the spices and herbs into the cheese ball with my hand. Another option would be to sprinkle the herbs and spices onto a plate and then roll the cheese ball gently until coated as desired.
- Place onto a plate and serve. Enjoy!Note: The cheese ball can be stored covered in the fridge for up to 7-10 days.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
14 Comments Add yours
THIS LOOKS A-MAZING!!
I can’t tell you how many times I have been asked to bring an appetizer to an event and usually end up buying vegan processed cheese from the grocery. Finally, a healthy recipe that is also beautiful. PLEASE make a video showing how you make this cauliflower cheese ball. I am unfamiliar with several of the ingredients and I have never made “cheese” before.
Hello Leanne! I will be going live on our Facebook page and our YouTube channel on tonite at 8:30 pm EST demonstrating how to make this amazing cheese ball. The video will then be embedded into the blog. Hope you enjoy this cheese ball as much as we do!
A beautiful presentation. Looks delicious.
I have two questions.
Can you use frozen cauliflower rice, and how would you change the preparations?
If you didn’t have any agar agar and weren’t driving into town any time soon, could you use some gelatin powder?
Hey Julia! Thank you so much for the kind compliment! I am pretty sure the frozen cauliflower rice will work. Agar Agar is vegan. It is my understanding that gelatin is not. So if you are ok with using the gelatin, go for it, but the cheese will no longer be vegan. Hope you enjoy it!
Can’t wait to try this!!!!!! Thank you for sharing.
Hey Dawn! Hope you enjoy the cheese ball as much as we do! Have a super fantastic plant-powered day!
Look forward to making for the holidays. I love that phrase it’s to love for because I never liked the phrase it’s to die for. Most people don’t realize how important our words are. Thanks Faith!
Hey Donna! Yes, mam! Spoken words are powerful! Hope you enjoy the cheese ball as much as we do! Have a super fantastic plant-powered day because you simply can!
Is it ok to sub nutritional yeast for the rotula yeast?
Hey Natalia! Sure you can use Nutritional Yeast if you prefer. Enjoy!
This cheese ball is amazing ! I can’t wait to serve it at my Christmas Eve Party. I topped it with cranberry salsa (WFPB ingredients) on a Mary’s Gone cracker. Soooo good.! Thank you for sharing another wonderful recipe.
Hey Tammy! So glad to hear that you enjoyed the Cauliflower Cheese Ball. Mmmmm Cranberry Salsa topping sounds amazing!
I made this today. It really is as easy as shown and quite delicious. I cut a piece and microwaved it to see if it melts and it does. Not stringy like mozzarella but creamy. I had to use nutritional yeast. Next time I will back off on the cider vinegar a little. I think I’d like to try using smoked paprika in addition to the onion powder.
Hey Elizabeth! So glad to hear that you enjoyed the Cheese Ball. Have fun with it. Make it your own. Smoked Paprika and onion powder additions sound absolutely amazing! Have a Happy, Healthy, Holiday season!