This flavorful and filling soup is packed with nourishing and anti-inflammatory ingredients made with simple pantry-friendly ingredients. Make it quick and easy in the Instant Pot or on the stovetop. This soup will definitely become one of your favorite comfort foods on those chilly days!
This recipe was inspired and adapted from Ambitious Kitchen.
Watch “How To” video:
Curry Butternut Squash Lentil Soup with Roasted Butternut Croutons
This nourishing, flavorful, and filling soup is the perfect food for those chilly days! It's made of pantry friendly ingredients and it's quick and easy make.
- 29 oz can Sliced Peaches (in 100% juice), drained and diced (or use 15oz can for more savory flavor)
- 1 cup Lentils, rinsed and drained I prefer ½ cup Red and ½cup Brown/Green
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 large Stalk of Celery, chopped
- 10 oz bag Frozen Chopped Onions
- 1 cup Chopped Carrots (can use frozen Carrots)
- ¼ tsp Ground Ginger
- ¼ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1 Tbsp Curry Powder
- ⅛ tsp Chipotle Pepper
- ⅛ tsp Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Black Garlic
- 2 tsp Hickory Smoked Torula Yeast
- 4 cups Vegetable Stock, unsalted
- (3) 10 oz bags Frozen Butternut Squash
- 2 Tbsp Tahini
- 3 cups Chopped Fresh Kale (with stems removed) or Baby Spinach
- 10 oz bag Frozen Butternut Squash
- ½ tsp Curry Powder
- ½ tsp Dash "Chicken" Spice Blend or your favorite "Salt-Free" seasonging blend
- smidgeon Chipotle Pepper
- 1½ tsp Dijon Mustard (or West Brae Mustard for salt-free option)
- 1½ tsp White Reduced Vinegar (4% acidity)
- ½ tsp Smoked Paprika
- smidgeon Ground Cinnamon
- Brown Rice
- Arugula Greens
- Vegan Bacon Bits
- Red Pepper Flakes
Roasted Butternut Squash Croutons
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the frozen Butternut Squash into a large mixing bowl.
- Add all of the remaining spices, mustard, and reduced vinegar. Stir until the Butternut is well coated with spices.
- Transfer the spiced Butternut cubes to the lined cookie sheet. Roast at 425F for 45 minutes or more until the desired doneness.
- Allow to cool and serve on top of the Curry Butternut Squash Lentil Soup.
Instant Pot Method
- While the Butternut croutons are roasting, drain the Peaches and discard the juice. Dice the peaches and set aside.
- Rinse and drain the Lentils and set aside.
- Place the Instant Pot (IP) on the 'sautee' mode. Add the minced Garlic, chopped Celery, Frozen Onions and Carrots to the IP.
- Add all of the spices, the diced Peaches, rinsed Lentils, Vegetables Stock, and Tahini into the IP. Give a quick stir thru.
- Turn off the IP. Place the lid on the Pot and lock in place. Close the venting valve. Press the Manual/Pressure Cook button. Set the time to 15 minutes (press the start button if your model has one). Once the IP is pressurized, it will cook the soup for 15 minutes.
- Allow the IP to naturally release the pressure for 15 minutes after the preset cooking time.
- After the pressure has naturally released from the IP, remove the lid and give the soup a quick stir thru. Then add the chopped Kale and stir until it begins to wilt (about 1-2 minutes).
- Laddle out some soup into desired bowl. Top with Roasted Butternut Croutons along with any other desired toppings and enjoy!
Stove Top Method
- Using a large pot, add the minced Garlic, Frozen chopped Onions, and Carrots. Sautee for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add all of the remaining soup ingredients except for the Kale. Give a quick stir thru.
- Place the lid on the pot. Bring to a boil and reduce to a low heat simmer for about 20 minutes until desired Lentil tenderness.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Stir in the greens of choice until they are just wilted.
- Laddle some soup into a bowl and add desired toppings and enjoy!
STORAGE: The soup will keep in a tightly sealed container for 4-5 days. It can also be frozen in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months. Recommend: Prepare and start roasting the Butternut croutons prior to preparing & cooking soup. The croutons will be done in advance.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
4 Comments Add yours
Where and what brand of white reduced vinegar do you use, especially 4% acidity?? Looks like an awesome recipe!
Hey Gail! I purchase 4% acidity White Balsamic Vinegar from my local Kroger. If you can’t find it simply leave it out.
what is the size of the instant pot you used? Would 6 quart work?
Hey Molly! Yes, I used a 6-Qt IP.