I never thought I would be able to give up highly processed sugars until I was introduced to this wonderful all-natural sweetness recipe
inspired and adapted from Chef AJ‘s book, “Unprocessed“. Mother Nature’s premium sweetness – the Date saved me and my family’s sweet tooth! In my humble opinion, this fruit is the powerhouse of all other fruits in nature when it comes to the ultimate sweetness!
There are two types that I find regularly in my market or bulk food store, Deglet Noor or Medjool. This super sweet fruit can be eaten whole, added to other dishes, like baked goods, soups, and smoothies. Not to mention it can also be creamed and even used to make syrup! My husband even has an occasional indulgence of an open-faced Peanut Butter -n- Date Paste sandwich.
So needless to say Dates and Date Paste are a staple in my pantry and fridge. Oh me, oh my, a taste of Heaven on Earth!
- 8 oz Medjool Dates, pitted (about 15)
- 1/2 cup Almond Plant-Based Milk, Unsweetened (Water, Unsweetened Juice, or other preferred Plant-based Milk)
- 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract (alcohol-free used)
- Be sure all pits are removed from dates. Weigh out 8oz of dates (about 15).
- Heat the milk on stovetop or a microwave until warm, but not boiling. Combine the warm milk, dates, and vanilla extract into a blender or food processor fitted with "S" blade (see recipe note below). Cover with lid and set aside for 15 minutes. Just a reminder, I chose to use unsweetened Almond milk, but water, or unsweetened juice works. I prefer milk for a creamier texture.
- Process the dates and the liquid until completely smooth. Transfer date paste to a mason jar and store in the refrigerator up to to 2 weeks.