OMG! I have arrived in “dessert heaven”! This chocolate sundae is to “Live” for! My dear husband who loves desserts came up with this amazing treat! No added sugar, oil, salt, or flour, dairy-free, and gluten-free! But trust me when I say it is ooohhhhhh soooooo goood!
Let me start by saying that we love sweet potatoes! And our favorite is the Japanese Sweet Potato. They are a very dense, sweet potato that has a pound cake-like texture. You can find them at any local Asian Market or Whole Foods Market. We batch cook these tasty yams and keep them in the fridge for a quick grab.
Also if you haven’t indulged in flavor-infused balsamic vinegars, you are definitely missing a treat. The “Dark Chocolate” balsamic vinegar in this recipe is delectable and a guilt free indulgence! In my opinion I enjoy 4% acidity vinegars that have been flavor infused. The taste of the vinegar is not so “bitter”, but rather take on a sweeter taste.
Some of the best tasting flavor infused vinegars I have indulged in are from Bema and Pas. Check out the large variety of the flavors that are available and purchase some. You can get a 10% discount by using the code CHEFAJ.
Now we can truly have our cake and eat it too!
Watch “How To” Video
Chocolate Balsamic Strawberry "Yam Sundae"
- 1 large Japanese Sweet Potato, baked and chilled
- 1 Tbsp Dark Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar
- 4 large Strawberries, Fresh
- 1 Tbsp Walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 2 large Bananas, very ripe, frozen
- 2 Tbsp Plant-Based Milk, Unsweetened
- 1/4 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- Slice chilled Japanese Sweet Potato into 1" slices. Set aside.
- Slice/chop fresh strawberries and put into a bowl. Pour the chocolate balsamic vinegar over the strawberries and stir until completely covered. Set asisde.
- Place frozen bananas, unsweetened plant-based milk, and vanilla extract into blender. Blend until smooth.
- Using a plate or a bowl, put 1 slice of the japanese sweet potato onto plate/bowl. Add 1 scoop of the banana N'ice cream on top of the potato slice. Repeat this process to desired height. Be sure that a scoop of N'ice cream is on top of your final layer.
- Top yam stack with chocolate glazed strawberries and walnuts, if desired. Enjoy!
- Wrap clean potatoes in aluminum foil.
- Bake in oven for 1 hour at 400F. Then reduce temp to 350 and bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until sweet potato is soft.
- Allow to cool to room temp, then store in fridge until ready to use. Will keep for up to 7 days.
8 Comments Add yours
Saw you and your family on Chef AJ’s show and fell in love with you and your recipes. Adding Japanese sweet potatoes to the nice cream I make in my yonanas machine has made my dessert so much healthier and tastier. I’ll be trying your Mac n cheese next.
Hello Carol! Thank you so much! Glad that you are enjoying your JSPs in your Nice-Cream! There’s nothing like indulging in food that loves you back! Hope you enjoy the Kid’s Mac n Cheese recipe as much as we do! Have a great day because you simply can!
can you tell me what brand of balsamic vinegar you use for this recipe? Thanks
Hello Tandi! In my local market is a health food store that sells flavor infused 4% acidity balsamic vinegar. Check in your local market to see if there are any health food stores or your Whole Foods Market. Online Bema and Pas (www.beemaandpas.com) has very good flavor infused vinegar. But I am not picky to what brand used. I just make sure that it is the 4% acidity because of the sweeter taste. Hope this helps. Have a great day because you simply can!
Thanks Faith. I ordered some from Bema and Pas. Hopefully it will be here soon and I can try this recipe. It looks so good. It is also on our valentines dinner menu that I’m planning. 🙂
Wow, you’re welcome Tandi, I hope that you get all of your required ingredients for your Valentines dinner.
Happy Valentines Day!
I saw you guys on the 2022 Better Life Summit. OMGgosh, the two of you are so real, so frank, amazing.
I’m looking forward to making the Chocolate Strawberry Balsamic Sundae, mouth is watering.
Why don’t you have a Blog?
So glad you enjoyed our interview on the Summit. Thank you for the kind compliment. Hope you enjoy the Sundae as much as we do. By the way we do have a blog , that is where you left your comment (lol).