Crunch, crunch, yum, yum! Now I am in chip heaven! These homemade Doritos are “Not-cho” Ordinary Doritos. Inspired and adapted from “Fork and Beans” blog, these chips are quick, easy to make and free of added oils, and sugar and minimal added salt.
A couple of notes: Be sure that the brand of tortillas chosen has the least amount of ingredients like corn, water, lime. Also, use “thin” corn tortillas so that the chips turn out crunchy throughout and not just around the edges. My two favorite brands that I like to use are the Bronco Corn Tortillas (from Walmart on the tortilla aisle) and the 365 Brand Organic Corn Tortillas (from Whole Foods Store found in the fridge area near the Tofu on the produce aisle). And finally, the chips can be made totally salt-oil-sugar free by omitting the Bragg Liquid Aminos.
Below are pics of a few of the spices that I used. Be sure to read labels of the spices and ensure that there are no added salt and sugar.
So, what are you waiting for? Go ahead get your favorite dip and get your “Not-cho” Ordinary Dorito crunch on!
Watch “How To” Video:
"Not-cho" Ordinary Doritos
- 1/2 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Chili Powder (unsalted)
- 1 tsp Onion Power (unsalted)
- 1 tsp Lemon Peel, dried
- 1 tsp Bragg 24 Herbs & Spices Seasoning (or Italian seasoning)
- 2 Tbsp Water
- 1 tsp Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 8 thin Corn Tortillas, soft (with minimal ingredients and no added salt)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Add all dry spices to a blender and pulse until mixture is finely grounded. If available transfer spices to a parmesan shaker. No shaker, no worries. Pour water and Bragg Liquid Aminos into a spritz water bottle.
- Stack tortillas on top of each other. Cut into quarters. Place quartered tortillas onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. "Lightly" spritz tortillas with water. Cover spritzed tortilla with spice mixture. Flip seasoned tortillas over and repeat spritzing and seasoning. NOTE: Oversaturating the tortillas with water will cause chips to chewy and not crunchy.
- Bake for 8 minutes in the oven. Flip then bake for another 7 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before indulging! Enjoy