Our entire family loves Carrot Dogs! Topped with our Dog-n-Burger Super Grain Chilli – these dogs are to “Live” for! The kiddos love them and sware up and down that these smoked dogs are better than any animal-based hot dog they have ever had! By the way, did you know that processed meats are carcinogenic to humans and promote cancer growth!
When we went Whole Food Plant-Based I thought we would never be able to have hot dogs again. I was so excited when I was inspired and adapted this recipe from Debbie Adler! Well needless to say these dogs are a frequent indulge for us!
In my opinion, the addition of coriander spice gives that “hot dog” taste. And of course liquid smoke gives that “smokey” flavor without firing up the grill! I am always mindful of minimizing added salt in my recipes, this is why I opted to use Coconut Aminos vs Liquid Aminos, or Tamari. So if you are salt-oil-sugar free you can omit the addition of Coconut Aminos altogether.
So what are you waiting for – go ahead and indulge in these whole food plant-based dogs! Better yet, fire up your grill and grill up some Carrot Dogs with all of the fixings!
Watch “How To” Video
Smoked Carrot Dogs
- 4 medium Carrots, unpeeled
- 1 Tbsp Liquid Smoke, Mesquite
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder, unsalted
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder, unsalted
- 1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Coriander
- 1 tsp Coconut Aminos
- optional Dog-n-Burger Super Grain Chilli see our website for recipe
- Cut the tips of each end of carrots. Do not remove the skin. Scrub carrots with running water. Place in a saucepan with water. Make sure the carrots are covered with water. Cover and bring water to a boil. Boil until carrots are fork tender, about 6 minutes. Remove carrots from boiling water and place onto a paper towel to cool.
- Using a 1 gallon zip lock bag and the remaining spices to bag. Mix the marinade well. Add all carrots to bag. Roll the carrots a few time in the bag to cover with marinade. Seal bag and marinade carrots for at least 2 hours in fridge or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place marinaded carrots onto lined cookie sheet. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven. GRILL option: Grill for about 20-25 minutes until heated thru and grill marks appear.
- Place carrot dog on a bun or a lettuce and top with preferred fixings and enjoy!