This is the best veggie burger on this side of heaven! OMG! A meatless burger full of flavor and texture! Mmmm lip-smackinggood! Oh, wait a minute, did I mention that this burger can be grilled? Yes, a veggie burger that can be grilled! Now I know I am in plant-based burger heaven! And did I mention that it truly does weight 1/4lb? Yes, it weighs 4oz – 1/4 of a pound!
Did you know that the consumption of red meat has been linked to increased risks of heart disease and certain cancers? Well, in my humble opinion, this burger is the next best, heart healthy and health-promoting burger you can have!
This fabulous burger was inspired and adapted from Dr. McDougall’s “Boyfriend Burger” recipe. My version came about when one day I went to make the burger and didn’t have all of the ingredients listed. So, I just went for what I knew and improvised and lo and behold, the family loved the burgers!
This recipe comes together very quickly when the brown rice, quinoa, and beets are pre-cooked in advance. So needless to say, I keep these items as pre-cooked staples in my fridge. And whatever you do, don’t leave out the Red Seedless Grapes! They give the perfect balance of sweetness without overpowering the savory!
Below are the brands of Worcestershire Sauce, BBQ Sauce, Nutritional Yeast and Liquid Smoke that I used in this recipe. The Worcestershire Sauce was purchased from the Whole Foods Store. The BBQ Sauce and Liquid Smoke were purchased from my favorite store – Walmart. The Nutritional Yeast was purchased from my local Kroger. Walmart carries Nutritional Yeast as well, just a different name brand – just as good though.
So what are you waiting for! Go ahead and fire up the oven or the grill and pull out all your fixings. Have it your way – it’s Plant-Based Veggie Burger day! Enjoy!!
Watch “How To” Video:
Ultimate 1/4lb "Beet" Burger
- 1 cup Baby Spinach (about 2 hand fulls)
- 1/2 cup White Button Mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup Red Onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup Red Grapes, Seedless, and halved
- 2 1/2 cup Cooked Basmati Brown Rice (see recipe notes)
- 1 cup Cooked Red/White Quinoa (see recipe notes)
- 1 15oz Black Beans, No Salt Added (rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup Roasted Beets, minced
- 2 Tbsp Parsley, dried
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder, Unsalted
- 1 Tbsp Onion Powder, unsalted
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder, unsalted
- 1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Golden Flaxseed, milled
- 1/4 tsp Chipotle Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 3 Tbsp Dijon Mustard (low-sodium brand)
- 3 Tbsp Vegan Worcestershire Sauce (or Ketchup. Be sure to use a brand without high fructose corn syrup)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Liquid Smoke, Mesquite
- 8 tsp Mesquite BBQ Sauce (I like Stubbs BBQ Sauce)
- Chop Baby spinach using a food processor and set aside.
- Add the chopped red onions, red seedless grapes, and mushrooms to a non-stick pan. On medium/high heat sautee veggies. The mushrooms will release natural water, so no need to add oil. Sautee veggies until all water has evaporated and veggies are glazed (about 10 minutes). Set aside.
- Add all remaining ingredients to food processor, including the chopped spinach and sauteed veggies. Pulse the mixture about 5-6 times. Using a spatula, stir the mixture for even distribution of spices a few times. Pulse a few more times until the mixture come together and hold. Cover mixture and refrigerate for 30 minutes - 2 hours to marinate and the firm up. NOTE: If pressed for time, omit refrigeration time and bake burgers in the oven. Be sure to allow burgers to cool and firm up after cooking time. If chill time is omitted DO NOT attempt to cook burgers on the grill!
- OVEN Method: Preheat oven to 375F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Scoop out a heaping 1/2cup of mixture onto to cookie sheet. Should make 8 patties. Using a spoon shape into the desired size. If desired, glaze each burger with 1 tsp of favorite BBQ sauce. Cook for 30 minutes in oven. Allow to cool 5-10 minutes to firm up.
- GRILL Method: Cook burgers on grill for 30 minutes, flipping once during cooking time. If desired, glaze each burger with favorite BBQ Sauce once burger has been flipped. Allow burger to cool 5-10 minutes before indulging.