Table Tasty Collards without any added smoke meat, oil, salt or sugar, but FULL of flavor! Whhuutt – Yes, it’s true!
Thanks to one of my favorite plant-based chefs, Chef AJ, I was introduced to a tasty salt -free spice by Benson’s Gourmet Seasonings called “Table Tasty“! This salt and sugar-free spice blend saved the day for our families love of Collards! Better yet, when the product is purchased from the company’s website, one can get an additional 10% OFF by using the code AJ.
Growing up in the south, we used to eat collard greens all the time. I can remember hating picking them, washing them 3 times, and the dreadful all night cooking process. (Lol) Well, thanks to pre-cut, pre-washed bags of collards, it makes the process less labor intensive. I still remove the stems from the pack and give another quick rinse. Some old habits are hard to break. (Lol)
Now, although the instant pot (IP) cooks the collards rather quickly, the SIMMERING process is a must! The secret to having all of the flavors of the spices and veggies come together to a nice savory taste is to give a quick stir thru after the cooking time, relid the IP, and allow the greens to “simmer”.
Thanks be to Table Tasty and the IP, our family now can enjoy one of our favorite veggies any day of the week! Add a slice of cornbread and we are in collard greens heaven! Lol
Watch “How To” Video:
"Table Tasty" Collards
- 2 lbs Collard Greens
- 1 large Yellow Onion, Chopped
- 1/2 cup White Mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup Julienne Carrots, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Onion Powder, unsalted
- 2 Tbsp Garlic Powder, unsalted
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Liquid Smoke, Mesquite
- 1/4 tsp Chipotle Pepper
- 3 Tbsp Benson's Gourmet "Table Tasty" (see blog for website link and 10% OFF code)
- 1/3 cup Water
- 6 qt Instant Pot
- Destem, rinse, and drain thoroughly 2lbs of collards. NOTE: Be sure to drain as much water as possible from collards. Too much water added to recipe will result in diluting the flavors.
- Chop the onions, carrots, and mushrooms and add to the Instant Pot. Then add collards, all spices, and water to IP. Engage the lid of the pot and cook on "Manual" mode for 30 minutes.
- After cooking time, "Quick Release" the pressure and give collards a good stir thru. Re-lid the pot and allow the collards to SIMMER on "Keep Warm" mode for at least 20 minutes. Give another quick stir thru and serve.
6 Comments Add yours
Oh I’ll have to try this one. My hubby is from the South. The only collards I’ve tasted was not healthy. I eat differently now so those are not a option. I can live without them but hubby grew up eating black eyed peas and collards on New Year’s Day.
Hey Robin! Yes, we love us some collards too (southern roots)! We hope you enjoy this salt, oil, and sugar-free version. They are full of flavor minus all the unhealthy ingredients. (lol). Check out our Black Eyed Peas recipe on our site too.
I just made this again for the umpteenth time! It’s so delicious and one of my favorites! So much flavor!
Awesome Maureen! So glad to hear that the Table Tasty Collards are so good even after the umpteenth time! lol Power to the Greens! Have a super fantastic day because you simply can!
How would you make these without an instapot?
Hello Shelly! You could cook the greens on the stovetop. Most likely you would need to double the water. You may also have to increase the cooking time to achieve the desired tenderness of your collards.