There’s nothing like the comfort of a good soup in the cold winter months. This hearty vegetable soup hit the spot! The entire family gave it two thumbs up!
This wonderful soup inspired and adapted from one of my favorite Whole Food Plant-based chefs, Cathy Fisher’s Corn Chowder, is full of flavor and texture. The simple ingredients along with a few simple herbs and spices make the perfect soup combo!
So what are you waiting for? Go ahead make up a batch of this soup with some cornbread and you got a meal!
Carrot, Kale and Potato Soup
Hearty veggie soup full of flavor and texture!
- 1 large Yellow Onion, Chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 large Carrots, sliced and quartered (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 stalks Celery, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Italian Herbs
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder, unsalted
- 1 Tbsp Onion Powder, unsalted
- 1 1/2 tsp Curry Powder, mild
- 1 1/2 tsp Dried Crushed Rosemary
- 1 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/8 tsp Chipotle Pepper (use 1/4 tsp for a little more kick)
- 1 1/2 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 4 medium potatoes - 4 cups)
- 2 1/2 cups Frozen Sweet Corn
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 4 1/2 cups Water
- 4 Kale Leaves (destemmed & cut into bite sizes) (about 4 cups)
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Lime Juice (optional but recommend)
- Rinse and chop the onions, carrots, celery and the potatoes.
- Add the chopped onions, carrots, celery, and all spices to a large pan or Instant Pot. Sautee the veggies for 8 minutes. If using the stovetop sautee over medium-high heat. If using an Instant Pot set the IP on "sautee" mode. Add a splash of water as needed if sticking occurs.
- Add the chopped potatoes, sweet corn, water, and bay leaves to the pot. Cover the pot. If cooking on the stove top, bring to a boil, reduce to medium-low heat, cover and cook for 20 minutes. If using an Instant Pot set on "soup/broth" mode and cook for 10 minutes.
- Rinse, destem, and tear kale leaves into bite-size pieces. After the soup has finish cooking add the chopped kale. Recover the pot and allow soup to simmer for 5 more minutes until kale is wilted.
- Remove the bay leaves. Add the fresh lime juice (if using) . Give the soup a quick stir through, serve and enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!