No macaroni, no problem! Just use chickpeas instead and you have “Cheezy Chickpeas-n-Broccoli”, a fabulous cheezy filling dish that will surely hit the spot!
This dish was inspired one night when the kiddos wanted some Mac-n-Cashew Cheeze and all I had in the pantry and fridge was chickpeas, potatoes, and broccoli. So with a few adaptations to Cooking With Plants nut -free mac and cheese sauce, I was able to whip up this meal in less than 30 minutes!
The cheeze sauce comes together very quickly. Hemp seeds and nutritional yeast makes this cheeze sauce creamy and cheezy! So be sure not to leave them out! Both ingredients (maybe different name brands) can be found in grocery stores. The brand of hemp seed pictured below was purchased from my local Walmart. The brands of nutritional yeast that I have seen in my local market stores are Braggs and Red Star. The Sari Foods brand of nutritional yeast pictured below was purchased from Amazon.
So the next time you have a taste for something cheezy and filling, look no further – Cheezy Chickpeas-n-Broccoli has come to the rescue!
Watch “How To” Video:
- 1 medium Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 small Sweet Potato, peeled and diced (about 1/2 cup)
- Water (for steaming potatoes)
- 1/2 cup Water (to be added to sauce)
- 1/8 cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1/8 cup Hemp Seeds
- 2 Tbsp Fresh lemon Juice
- 1/8 tsp Chipotle Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder, unsalted
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder, unsalted
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard (used Walmart Organic brand)
- 1 Tbsp Miso Paste
- 1/2 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 2 cans Chickpeas, drained and rinsed (about 3 cups)
- 12 oz bag Frozen Broccoli Florets (or 2 broccoli crowns, about 3 cups)
- Peel and chop both potatoes to get 1 cup of diced Yukon and 1/2 cup of sweet potato. Pour water into a large saucepan. Add a steamer basket to a saucepan. Place both the Yukon and sweet potatoes into a steamer basket. Cover pot and bring to a boil. Steam the potatoes for 8 minutes.
- While the potatoes are steaming, add 1/2 cup of water, oats, hemp seeds, lemon juice, chipotle pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, Dijon mustard, miso paste, and nutritional yeast to a blender. Add the steamed potatoes to blender. Blend until completely smooth. Set aside.
- Steam the frozen broccoli for 6 minutes. Remove the broccoli and steamer basket from saucepan and set aside. Discard of the water in the saucepan.
- Drain and rinse both cans of chickpeas. Add rinsed chickpeas to empty saucepan. Pour the cheeze sauce over chickpeas and give a quick stir thru. Toss in the steamed broccoli and give another quick stir thru. Warm the ingredients on medium heat for another 2 minutes until chickpeas are warmed thru. Serve and Enjoy!