Mashed potatoes and gravy is one of our favorite comfort foods. These are the best on this side of comfort food heaven.
Our favorite potato is Yukon Golds. They have a buttery taste and are very creamy in texture. Although they can cook in a very short period of time in the Instant Pot, I prefer allowing them to steam for 30 minutes to make them extra creamy without the need to add milk or butter.
In my opinion the potatoes don’t need any seasoning but the kiddos like a little extra flavor. So a little Mrs. Dash “Onion & Herb” gets the job done with adding any salt.
This delicious gravy inspired and adapted from Dr. John McDougal’s book “The Starch Solution” is oh so good. All whole plant-based ingredients with no added oil or where I am from – no added bacon grease or flour. (lol) Keeping cooked rice in the fridge allows this gravy to come together very quickly.
So the next time you have a taste for some good ol’ mashed potatoes and gravy whip up these creamy delicious potatoes and gravy. Your belly will thank you for it!
Watch “How To Video”
- 6 large Yukon Gold Potatoes, unpeeled
- (optional) Favorite Salt-Free Spice (to taste) (we use Mrs. Dash "Onion & Herbs")
- 1/2 cup Water (for steaming potatoes)
Brown Rice Gravy
- 1 large Yellow Onion, Chopped (optional, for chunky style gravy)
- 1 cup White Button Mushrooms (optional, for chunky style gravy)
- 2-4 Tbsp Veggie Stock, unsalted (for sauteing the mushrooms and onions)
- 1 cup Veggie Stock, unsalted (we use Kitchen Basics)
- 3/4 cup Cooked Brown Rice (or 1 cup of cooked Millet)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Tamari, Low Sodium (or 1 Tbsp Bragg Liquid Aminos or Soy Sauce)
- 1 tsp Onion Powder, unsalted
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder, unsalted
- 1/32 tsp Chipotle Pepper (smidgeon)
- 1/8 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Dried Basil
- CHUNKY GRAVY option: Peel and chop the onion. Roughly chop the mushrooms. Add both to a saucepan. Sautee veggies on medium-high heat. Add veggie stock as needed to keep from sticking. Cook for 7-8 minutes until caramelized. Set aside. Add smooth gravy to the pan and give a quick stir thru. Gravy will thicken very quickly within 2-3 minutes of being heated.
- SMOOTH GRAVY option: Add the veggie stock, cooked brown rice (or cooked millet), tamari (or liquid braggs), and remaining spices to a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth. If using a high-speed blender the gravy will thicken as blending.
- Place a steamer basket into the Instant Pot (IP). Add 1/2 cup water to the IP. Scrub the potatoes under running water and place into the IP. Engage the lid. Set the IP on the "steam" mode for 30 minutes.
- Remove the steamed potatoes from the IP into a large mixing bowl. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes to desired creaminess. Add desired spices if using. Add additional water from IP if needed for extra creaminess.
- Place desired amount of mashed potatoes on plate. Smother with gravy. Enjoy!