Spicy, sweet, and sour all wrapped up into one dish spells delicious. Combine that deliciousness in a stir-fry and I am all in! The family definitely gave 2-thumbs up!
Many stir-frys call for tofu, this stir-fry inspired and adapted from the Forks Over Knives cookbook uses Eggplant. I am personally not a fan of Tofu, but using Eggplant in this stir-fry gives this dish a unique and tasty flavor. Feel free to use any veggies you have on hand, the sauce is the magic!
All whole plant-based food ingredients. Using a frozen bag of Sugar Snap Peas Stir-Fry makes it easy to add veggies without the need to do a lot of chopping. Coconut Aminos is a perfect replacement for soy sauce because it has less sodium content. Arrowroot powder is a plant-based thickener, perfect for gravies and can be purchased from Amazon.
So the next time you want something sweet, spicy, and sour – look no further. This will be the perfect dish served over some Basmati brown rice or rice of your choice!
Watch “How To” Video:
SPICY SWEET-N-SOUR EGGPLANT STIR-FRY
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 4 large Medjool Dates, pitted and chopped
- 8 oz can Crushed Pineapples, in juice not syrup (do not drain)
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar, Raw, Unfiltered
- 1/3 cup Coconut Aminos (or low sodium Tamari)
- 2 large Garlic Cloves
- 1/4 cup Pineapple Juice (from 20 oz can of Pineapples below)
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 2 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder
- 1 large Yellow Onion, Chopped
- 1 cup White Button Mushrooms, sliced
- 20 oz bag Frozen Sugar Snap Pea Stir-Fry
- 1 lb Eggplant, chopped
- 4 large Garlic Cloves, finely chopped (about 1 Tbsp)
- 1/4 tsp Chipotle Pepper
- 20 oz can Pineapple Chunks, in juice not syrup (drained and reserve juice; set aside 1/4 cup to be used in sauce above; use remaining to stir-fry the veggies)
- to taste Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 4 tsp Cashews, unsalted (optional)
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Remove the pits from the Medjool dates. Add to a high-speed blender with all remaining sauce ingredients. Blend until completely smooth. Set aside. NOTE: Be sure to add the juice from the crushed pineapples and 1/4 cup pineapple juice from the 20oz can of pineapple chunks.
- Chop the onions and mince the garlic cloves. Drain the pineapple chunks and reserve the juice.
- Add all of the chopped and frozen veggies to a large non-stick pan. Add the chipotle pepper. Add 1/4 cup of the reserved pineapple juice to the pan. Sautee the veggies on medium-high heat until tender. Cook covered stirring frequently until veggies are tender and the liquid is evaporated (about 12 minutes).
- Add in the drained pineapple chunks to the stir-fry. Give a quick stir thru. Add the prepared sweet and sour sauce. Give a good stir thru. Continue to cook for another 3 minutes until sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
- Serve over preferred brown rice. Garnish with red pepper flakes and cashews. Enjoy!