I love Coleslaw. Getting my kiddos to eat raw veggies, especially dark leafy raw veggies is challenging. Or should I say was a challenge until now. This Creamy Kaleslaw hit a home run with kiddos and mom approves!
Creamy and sweet, this delicious slaw inspired and adapted from Straight Up Food makes the perfect addition to any meal. All whole plant-based ingredients with no added sugar or oil.
Kaleslaw makes the perfect side dish. Try it with our Lentil Sloppy Joe, the Quick-Fix 2 Bean Burger, or the Carrot Dogs!
Watch “How To” Video:
- 1/2 cup Cashews, Raw
- 1 cup Water (for soaking cashews)
- 4 large Medjool Dates, pitted (at least 1/2 the length of pointer finger)
- 3/4 cup Applesauce, Unsweetened
- 2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Garlic, minced (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder, unsalted)
- 1 tsp Celery Seeds
- 12 oz bag Kale Slaw
- Place cashews in a glass jar. Add hot water and set aside for at least 15 minutes.
- Drain the soaked cashews and add to a high-speed blender. Add the Dates, Applesauce, Mustard, Vinegar, Nutritional Yeast, and Garlic to the blender. Blend until completely smoothed.
- Add the celery seeds to the sauce. Pulse briefly. Do not over blend the seeds as this will result in the sauce having a bitter taste.
- Add the Kaleslaw to a large mixing bowl. Add the sauce and mix thoroughly using hands. Be sure to massage the Kale as mixing to help tenderize. Cover and chill for 2 hours to allow the Kale to wilt and the flavors to blend. Serve and Enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
6 Comments Add yours
Another winner from one of my favorite families. 💕💕🤗
Awww, thank you so much, Ms. Juanita! So glad you enjoyed the Kaleslaw! Have a super fantastic day because you simply can! 🙂
Looks delicious! Is there something I can substitute for the cashews if I want it to be nut free?
Hello Betty! I am not quite sure. I tested this recipe with potato mayo with Hemp seeds from our Dill Potato Salad on our website and but the creaminess was more of a gooeyness. While it tasted ok, my kiddos did not care for the gooeyness. So you could give it a try and let me know your thoughts. 🙂
I haven’t been this impressed with a healthy diet site for a long time. Thanks so much for your efforts. I believe I’ll be looking at this site daily for a long time.
Hello Julia! Thank you for your kind compliments. Please feel free to subscribe so that you will not miss it when we upload more of our family’s favorite Whole Food Plant-based recipes. Take care and have a super fantastic day because you simply can!