I love Coleslaw. Getting my kiddos to eat raw veggies, especially dark leafy raw veggies is challenging. Or should I say was a challenge until now. This Creamy Kaleslaw hit a home run with kiddos and mom approves!
Creamy and sweet, this delicious slaw inspired and adapted from Straight Up Food makes the perfect addition to any meal. All whole plant-based ingredients with no added sugar or oil.
Watch “How To” Video:
- 1/2 cup Cashews, Raw
- 1 cup Water (for soaking cashews)
- 4 large Medjool Dates, pitted (at least 1/2 the length of pointer finger)
- 3/4 cup Applesauce, Unsweetened
- 2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Garlic, minced (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder, unsalted)
- 1 tsp Celery Seeds
- 12 oz bag Kale Slaw
- Place cashews in a glass jar. Add hot water and set aside for at least 15 minutes.
- Drain the soaked cashews and add to a high-speed blender. Add the Dates, Applesauce, Mustard, Vinegar, Nutritional Yeast, and Garlic to the blender. Blend until completely smoothed.
- Add the celery seeds to the sauce. Pulse briefly. Do not over blend the seeds as this will result in the sauce having a bitter taste.
- Add the Kaleslaw to a large mixing bowl. Add the sauce and mix thoroughly using hands. Be sure to massage the Kale as mixing to help tenderize. Cover and chill for 2 hours to allow the Kale to wilt and the flavors to blend. Serve and Enjoy!