These sweet and moist cupcakes make the perfect anytime snack or dessert. Lemony, moist, and taste just as good with or without icing. Now that is cupcake heaven on earth!
It’s Easter time and my husband has been asking for a lemon cake. Inspired and adapted from Show Me The Yummy, these perfect cupcakes satisfied my husband’s lemony sweet tooth but also allowed me to make Easter Bunny muffins for the kiddos.
And although these muffins are oh so delicious simply by themselves, our “Sweet P” Lemon Icing was the perfect little touch for a little added sweetness and the coconut sprinkles gave the cupcakes a little added spring flair.
What excites me even more about these muffins, there is no added sugar, oils, eggs, or dairy. All whole plant-based ingredients. Guilt-free indulgence!
So go ahead and whip up these tasty muffins. They will sure to satisfy your sweet tooth indulgence!
Watch “How To” Video:
- 1 cup Old Fashion Rolled Oats
- 1 tsp Baking Powder (used low sodium)
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Zest (about 2 very large lemons)
- 5 large Medjool Dates, pitted (about 3 oz - should be about 1/2 the length of pointer finger)
- 1/3 cup Fresh lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup Applesauce, Unsweetend
- 1/2 cup Banana, very ripe
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Powder (or 1 tsp pure vanilla extract)
- 2 tsp White Balsamic Vinegar
- 6 Silicone Muffin Liners
Optional Garnishment - Lemon Sweet P Icing
- 6 large Medjool Dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup Baked Japanese Sweet Potato (skin removed)
- 2 Tbsp Plant-Based Milk, Unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp Fresh lemon Juice (about 1 small lemon)
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Zest
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin pan with silicone cupcake liners.
- Using a blender, blend the oats into a flour. Transfer oat flour to a large mixing bowl. Add the baking powder and give a quick whisk.
- Zest and juice at least 2 large lemons to equal 1 Tbsp of zest and 1/3 cup of juice. Set the juice aside.
- Add 1 Tbsp of lemon zest to flour. Give a quick whisk. Set the bowl aside.
- To the blender add the lemon juice, dates, applesauce, very ripe banana, vanilla powder (or extract), and balsamic vinegar. Blend until well combined and smooth.
- Add the blended wet ingredients into the bowl with oat flour. Whisk well. Do not over mix. The batter should be light and airy. Fill each muffin liner 3/4 full with batter. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- NOTE: ALLOW MUFFINS TO COMPLETELY COOL FOR AT LEAST 3-4 HOURS BEFORE REMOVING FROM LINERS AND INDULGING. This step is key because the muffins are very moist and need this time to firm up to a cake-like texture. Do not attempt to eat before then or the muffins will be gooey in texture.
Lemon Sweet P Icing
- Add all of the icing ingredients to a blender and blend until completely smooth. Store in a tightly sealed glass jar in the fridge until ready to use.
- Top each cupcake with the desired amount and indulge!
- NOTE: Icing will keep in the fridge up to 2-3 weeks.