Cranberry sauce is one of our family’s favorite sweet condiments during the holidays. It’s sweet and tangy and pairs nicely with cornbread dressing and collards. It’s also good with oatmeal, on a biscuit, or as a dip with chips. The best part of this sweet indulgence is that it’s sweetened with nature’s natural sweetness – fruit and nothing but the fruit! Four simple ingredients: cranberries, oranges, pineapples, and dates. Simple whole food goodness! Now, that’s cranberry sauce worth living for!
This recipe was inspired and adapted from Chef AJ’s 5-Minute Cranberry Relish.
Chunky Cranberry Sauce
- 1¾ cup Cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 5-6 large Medjool Dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup Crushed Pineapples in 100% juice
- ½ large Navel Orange, juiced and zest
- Add the Cranberries, chopped Dates, and crushed Pineapples, Orange Juice, and zest to a non-stick pan.
- Cover the pan with a lid. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes. Every few minutes, stir and mash the cranberries and dates. Continue to simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat. Allow the sauce to cool about 30 minutes before serving.
- If a smoother texture is desired, process with an immersion blender to desired texture. Enjoy!
- Note: This sauce will be a crowd-pleaser, so don't hesitate to double batch. It will keep in a tightly sealed container in the fridge for several weeks in the fridge.