It’s that time of the year when apples are plentiful. What better time than to make apple pie and not just any apple pie, but the Ultimate Apple Pie! What makes this pie the ultimate? Its ingredients are whole, natural, and plant-exclusive! It doesn’t get any better than that!
During the holidays our family loves having deep-dish apple pie! Now we can really indulge without any guilt. This pie is completely free of any added Sugar, Oils, Flour, Alcohol, or Salt (SOFAS free). What’s even more exciting, the ingredients are simple pantry staples that come together beautifully to make this delicious pie! Bye, Bye store brought apple pies and hello “homemade” deliciousness!
Please do not be intimidated by making this pie. I promise you the process is simple and I guarantee you it will come out perfectly. So Thanksgiving is right around the corner. Go ahead and add this delicious Ultimate Deep-Dish Apple Pie to your spread. I promise you, it will be a crowd-pleaser!
There is truly no deprivation living a Whole Food Plant-Based lifestyle. This Ultimate Deep-Dish Pie is proof of that fact!
Watch “How-To” Video:
Ultimate Deep-Dish Apple Pie
- 1 cup Apple Juice, Unfiltered
- 2 oz Medjool Dates, pitted (about 4 large)
- 3 Tbsp Fresh lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Bean Powder (or 1 tsp Vanilla Extract)
- 1 Tbsp Apple Pie Spice
- 1/3 cup Quick Oats
- 3 lb bag Granny Smith Apples (peeled, cored, and sliced)
- 1 lb Gala Apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
Lattice Crust (top)
- Duplicate same Ingredients as the Bottom Crust above
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- To a high-speed blender add the apple juice, Medjool Dates, lemon juice, apple pie spice, and vanilla bean powder. Set aside for at least 15 minutes. Then blend until smooth. Pour 3/4 cup of the sauce into a bowl and set aside. Add the quick oats to the blender and allow to sit for about 5 minutes. Then blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Peel, core, and slice all of the apples and place into a non-stick saucepan. Turn on high heat. Add the 3/4 cup of the sauce to the apples. Give a quick stir thru. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and continue to cook the apples for an additional 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and add the thickened sauce from the blender to the pan. Stir thru thoroughly and continue to stir until the sauce thickens. Cover and set aside.
- Be sure all of the pits are removed from the Medjool Dates. Chop them into small pieces. Using a food processor fitted with an "S" blade add the Oats, cinnamon, vanilla bean powder, flaxseed, and Medjool Dates. Pulse until a coarse flour forms. Add the unsweetened applesauce. Pulse into dough begins to form. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides. Continue to pulse until the dough clumps together.
- Take two pieces of parchment paper. Use a large plate to draw a template of a circle onto one sheet of parchment paper. Transfer the dough onto the parchment without the drawn circle. Pat and shape into a round ball. Place the circle template sheet with the lead-side up facing you. Using a wooden rolling pin, roll out the dough to the size of the circular template.
- Remove the top sheet. Invert the dough into a 9" pie dish. Lightly press the dough into the pan. Remove the second sheet of paper. Trim the excess dough from the edges of the pan. Press the remaining excess dough onto the sides of the crust, smoothing it out with your fingers.
- Add strips of aluminum foil around the top edge of the pan to prevent the dough from burning. Pre-bake the crust for 8-minutes in a preheated 350F oven. Then set aside. Reduce the oven to 325F.
Lattice Crust Instructions
- Follow steps 1-2 above for the crust preparation.
- Remove the top circle template. Using a pizza cutter, cut 1/4 inch wide strips of dough. Using a butter knife, lift alternate pieces of dough and place them on the other sheet of paper. Now form a tic-tac-toe patter with the alternate pieces of dough that were placed onto the second sheet. Gently press the pieces together where they cross.
- Remove the foil from the pre-baked crust and fill with the apple filling. Spread the filling evenly in the pan. Now invert the lattice crust onto the pie. Trim the excess crust from edges. Gently press the edges together. Fill in any gaps around the edge with the excess dough. Replace the aluminum foil around the edge of the pie.
- Be sure the oven's temperature is set to 325F. Bake the pie for 40 minutes. Allow the pie to cool for at least 30-45 minutes prior to serving. Pie may be served warm or at room temperature. Serve as Apple Pie A'la mode with some Banana N'Ice Cream and you will be in dessert heaven!