Nothing says summer like food cooked on the grill. Nothing says plant-powered yumminess like these tender, tasty, BBQ Jacked-Up Brown Rice Veggies Ribs.
I am super excited about these ribs because they are gluten-free! Traditional vegan ribs often use Vital Wheat Gluten Flour (Seitan) as the main staple for the ribs. Jackfruit, Cooked Brown Rice, and Onions are the main ingredients of these ribs! The meaty texture of the Jackfruit, the Brown Rice, and Onions add the perfect texture to the tender ribs while Tapioca and Brown Rice flour helps provide the perfect gluten-free bonding.
These ribs are also soy-free, too! Instead of using miso-paste (which contains soy) for added saltiness, Teryaki Coconut Aminos adds the perfect amount of saltiness with an amazing savory flavor. Just when I thought plant-based ribs couldn’t get any better, they did!
These plant-based ribs can be barbecued in the oven. But trust me when I say that, they are AMAZING from the grill! And they are even more amazing with our homemade “2Live4” BBQ Sauce.
So the next time you fire up your grill, add these delicious meatless ribs. These plant-powered ribs will sure to become a staple for all the big barbecue days – July 4th, Labor Day, Memorial Day, or just any old day! I guarantee that they will be a crowd pleaser!
Watch “How To” Video
BBQ Jacked-Up Brown Rice Veggie Ribs
- Food Processor with "S" Blade
- Non-Stick Pan
- Parchment-Line Cookie Sheet
- Grill & Grill Mat
- (2) 20 oz. cans Jackfruit in Brine (rinsed & drained)
- 2 cups Chopped Onions (about 1 large onion)
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- ¼ cup Apple Cider Vinegar with Mother
- ¼ cup "2Live4" BBQ Sauce (or bbq sauce of choice)
- 1¼ cup Cooked Brown Rice (chilled) (prepare in advance)
- 2 Tbsp Tapioca Flour
- 2 Tbsp Brown Rice Flour (See recipe Notes below)
- 2 Tbsp Spicy Brown Mustard
- 2 Tbsp Teryaki Coconut Aminos (or regular Coconut Aminos)
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Poultry Seasoning
- ¼ – ½ tsp Chipotle Pepper
- 1 ½ cup "2Live4" BBQ Sauce (or bbq sauce of choice)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Rinse and drain the canned Jackfruit. Transfer drained Jackfruit to a food processor fitted with an "S" blade. Pulse about 10-12 times until the fruit is shredded into a 'meat-like" texture.
- Transfer the shredded Jackfruit, chopped onions, minced garlic, apple cider vinegar, and BBQ sauce to a non-stick saucepan. Stir together and sauté on high heat for about 8-10 minutes until all of the water has evaporated. Set aside.
- Add all of the wet slurry ingredients together in a bowl. Mix together well.
- Add the wet slurry, and the chilled brown rice to the saucepan with the cooked jackfruit. Mix together until well incorporated. Then add both the two different flours (brown rice and tapioca). Mix well.
- Transfer the jackfruit mixture to a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Press and shape into a square shape (about 9"x9"). Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Cut into 4 quarters. NOTE: If grilling following the next step under the "Grilling Option". If using oven only, follow the next step under the "Oven Option"
- Using a spatula, flip each quarter piece over. Place back into the oven and continue to bake an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and glaze with BBQ sauce.
- Fire up the grill. Be sure to add some smoked wood chunks for an amazing smoky flavor. (Our favorite is mesquite wood chunks.) Place grill mats onto grill. Be sure the flames have died down and the wood chunks are white.
- Place the glazed side of ribs down onto grill mat. Glaze the top of ribs. Close the grill. Allow to smoke for a total of 20 minutes – flipping and adding barbecue sauce to each side every 5 minutes.
- After 20 minutes of grilling & glazing, allow to cool & firm up for at least 20 minutes before slicing with a serrated knife. The longer the ribs cool, the firmer they become. Enjoy!
- Pour about 3/8 cup of bbq sauce on the quartered jackfruit. Flip over and add additional bbq sauce to the flipped side (about 1/2 cup of sauce). Return to the oven and allow to cook an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool & firm up for at least 20 minutes before slicing with a serrated knife. The longer the ribs cool, the firmer they become. Enjoy!
Advance Preparation (recipe notes below)
Get2dRootHealthandWellness.com is an affiliate with Amazon. If you choose to purchase a product through any of these affiliate links, at no cost to you, our site earns a commission from the sale. Thank you for supporting our website and our passion for spreading the good news of how tasty Whole Plant-Based Food really is!