Are you looking for a healthy, plant-based alternative to ground beef for Tacos? Well, look no further. Lentils & Quinoa are both high in protein and low in fat making them both the perfect healthy and delicious alternative for your Tacos. Add all of your favorite Taco toppings and you will be in Taco heaven!
Watch “How To” Video:
Lentil & Quinoa Taco Meat (Vegan, Oil & Nut-Free)
Lentil & Quinoa are full of protein and low in fat. Topped with your favorite toppings and you will have a delicious, filling, and healthy plant-based Taco!
- 1 cup Beluga Lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3 Tbsp Red Quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 12 oz bag Frozen Mirepoix Blend (Onions, Celery, & Green Peppers)
- ½ cup Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp Onion Powder, unsalted
- 1½ tsp Garlic Powder, unsalted
- 1½ tsp Dash "Italian Seasoning Blend" or Oregano
- 1 tsp Parsley, dried
- 1 tsp Dash "Southwest Chipotle"
- ½ tsp Caraway Seeds
- ¾ tsp Cumin
- ½ tsp Ancho Chile Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Sumac
- 1½ tsp Liquid Smoke ( I prefer Hickory)
- 1 cup Salsa (low sodium) (or 1 15oz can of Fire Roasted Tomatoes, salt-free)
- 1-2 tsp Date Sugar (or Maple Syrup)
- ¾ cup Vegetable Stock, unsalted
- 3-5 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp Lemon or Lime Juice (optional)
Optional Taco Toppings
- Chopped Baby Spinach
- Chopped Lettuce
- Frozen Corn, thawed
- Black Olives
- Salsa, low-sodium (our favorite is the FrogRanch brand)
- "Hold the Cheese Please" Sauce (recipe on our blog)
- Cauliflower Cheese (recipe on our blog)
- Add the Beluga Lentils and Quinoa to a strainer together. Stir the Lentils and Quinoa around in the strainer with your hand while running under cold water for about 1 minute. Drain all of the excess water and place the strainer on a towel to drain and set aside.
Instant Pot Version:
- Set the Instant Pot on the 'Sautee' mode. Add the Mirepoix and the Red Bell Peppers to the Instant Pot. Add all of the remaining ingredients except for the Tomato Paste and Lemon Juice.
- Give all of the ingredients a quick stir. Place the lid onto the Instant Pot. Cancel the 'Saute" mode.
- Set the Instant Pot to 'Pressure Cook/Manual' for 16 minutes. After the Instant Pot has cooked the Taco Meat allow it to naturally release the pressure for 16 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add the Tomato Paste and Lemon Juice. Stir thru well.
- Serve on your favorite taco with all of the fixings! Enjoy!
- The Lentil & Quinoa Taco Meat will keep in a tightly sealed jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Stove-Top Version (coming soon)
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
4 Comments Add yours
This looks great and I want to try, but are the lentils and Quinoa already cooked? If not, there doesn’t seem to be enough liquid to do so!
Hey Leslie! If you are using the Instant Pot for this recipe, the Vegetable Stock, Salsa, and Frozen Mirepoix provide enough liquid to cook the meat. The Quinoa and Lentils are uncooked.
Can’t wait to try. Love you guys and gal. Awesome channel, thank you. Share with al I know. Yummy as always. Windsor Ontario Canada
Hey Gary! Thank you so very much for the kind compliments! We love you 2 Life! Looking forward to hearing how you enjoyed the Lentil & Quinoa Taco Meat!